[net.comics] Starstruck Spoiler: Reprisal

yoshida@hpfcla.UUCP (10/24/85)

    **           WARNING:  Spoilers Abound in this article!           **

    At 2:05 am on Oct 8, 1985, Jerry (decwrl!boyajian) writes:

    >I don't mind  having to think when I read a comic  book, or to have
    >to pay attention...
    >
    >...The  thing  that all of the above  have in  common  is that they
    >become clear when you apply your brains to reading them.  No matter
    >how much effort I put into  STARSTRUCK, it remains  incoherent (and
    >I've weathered through many an obscure novelist).

    I feel that  STARSTRUCK  has been  given  the label of a  "Ukrainian
    Easter Egg" unjustly.  It seems there's been some  discussion on the
    net as to  whether  or not there  really is a plot to the  story.  I
    vote a resounding "YES" to that question.

    So...what  IS the plot behind  STARSTRUCK?  I've long ago  concluded
    that Elaine Lee's characters are all players in a Cosmic drama which
    will pull these  people  (with  strange and  "obscure"  backgrounds)
    together  in a  confrontation  of  hilarious  proportion.  Lee has a
    penchant for irony.  In fact,  sometimes I think she's been  reading
    Carl Jung too much.  There's  quite a bit of  "synchronicity"  mixed
    into her stories.  (You know what I'm talking  about.  Sting said it
    quite  well:  "A  connecting  principle,  linked  to the  invisible,
    almost   imperceptible...A   star  fall,  a  phone  call,  it  joins
    all...Synchronicity.")  For   example,   the  egging   incident   of
    Port-O-Boy  Gazebo 16 (see "Dead  Reckoning"  in the Graphic  Novel)
    linked  Bru and  Galatia  9 -- they  were  destined  to meet (it was
    Galatia's old escape pod that  destroyed the  Vercadian  Base 10 and
    ultimately saved Bru and "Cookie" Fabre from becoming space dust)!

    And  obscurity?  Well, many of those  "obscure"  events  turn out to
    have quite a bit of  significance.  Case in point is the  appearance
    of "Specs"  Trueheart.  He was supposedly  one of the brave who died
    in the Neutral  Zone 8 disaster  that  Brucilla  "The  Muscle"  led.
    Bru's  squadron was minced to pieces by the Vercadian  Bases, but Lo
    and Behold, "Specs" turns up alive with a Vercadian Protector as his
    bodyguard  (see  "Home  Movies"  in  the  Graphic  Novel,  and  also
    STARSTRUCK #'s 4 and 5).  He's later "persuaded" by Bru to accompany
    her back to Rec Station 97 so that she can clear her name.

    Another  "obscure"  event was the "sharing of souls" that took place
    in the Baron  Bajar's  playroom.  While the Baron  sent his  Erotica
    Annies  into an acid bath to be  destroyed,  the last Annie  (Number
    333...half the number of the beast?)  experienced conscious thought.
    At that moment, Glorianna of Phoebus (a.k.a.  Mary Medea, founder of
    Living Dolls, Inc.)  saved the last Annie from  destruction.  Ronnie
    Lee Bajar witnessed the event (see "...From the Jaws of Hell" in the
    Graphic Novel -- notice the pea shot which hits Glorianna) and later
    wrote a book  about  it.  Annie  number  333  then  turns  up in the
    company of Harry  Palmer  (given to Harry as a gift by Mary  Medea),
    and she consistently reappears throughout the books.  My bet is that
    she will be an important piece in the STARSTRUCK puzzle.

    Galatia 9 (a.k.a.  Molly Medea),  Glorianna of Phoebus (Mary Medea),
    Brucilla "The Muscle",  Harry Palmer, The Girl Guides,  Verloona Ti,
    Ronnie Bajar, Kalif Bajar, "Cookie", "Specs" Trueheart, Annie Number
    333, "Windy"  Weatheral...and the whole cast of  STARSTRUCK...linked
    together  by  seemingly  isolated  events,  each  driven  by  vastly
    different motives, all on a collision course with destiny.

    To say that  STARSTRUCK  has an incoherent  story is an injustice to
    Elaine  Lee and  Micheal  Kaluta.  There  are  many  subtleties  and
    inferences  (which  are  done  wonderfully  with  words  AND  visual
    sequences)  that make for a VERY tangled  plot.  But if you take the
    time to  untangle  the  threads  there's a pleasant  surprise in the
    middle.

    Now...Any questions? :-)

    Stuart Yoshida

    "If the pond is illusion,