[net.comics] John Byrne

egy@sdchema.UUCP (Eugene G. Youngerman) (08/29/83)

     A while back, someone queried on John Byrne's books.
I now have a comment.  I like John Byrne's books.  I wasn't
sure when I started his series of FF that I would, but upon
reflection, I look forward to each with a sense of eager anticipation.
I know that each will have something in it to interest me, and possibly
make me think.
    My immediate comment, has to do with the most recent issues
of Alpha Flight (5?).  This is the one with the Puck solo
story.  I have often thought that the problem with team books
is their lack of stories featureing individual members of the cast.
At least twice now, Byrne has done this, well, I might add.
FF 234(?) had a Human Torch story, which had too young a Torch
for my tastes, but was nonetheless a story which saw the Torch
in a light rarely seen, on his own, not a hot dog, but a hero.
     The Puck story was a good cute story, not meanningful in
the overall scheme of Alpha Flight, I think, but I enjoyed it.

				   I am
				   GINO!

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/26/85)

>From: tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney)

> This article just goes to show how literarily impoverished Byrne is.  The
> Bible is hardly full of infallible characters; in fact, only Yahweh and Jesus
> are supposed to have made no mistakes.

And I can just as easily say that your article just goes to show how impover-
ished your reading skills are. Since I still haven't seen the CBG in question,
I can only quote from the transcription in net.comics from mcewan@uiucdcs:

>>Byrne said, "My whole approach is that the *man* should be more important than
>>the *super*, and he *has* to be. If he's just a supremely powerful guy who
>>never screws up, then who cares? I mean, I've got The Bible if I want to read
>>that kind of stuff. Superman has to comprehensible in mortal terms."

He never said that the Bible is "full of infallible characters", only that if
you want to read about infallible characters, you can read the Bible.

On top of this, even if he made an error in stating thus about the Bible, it
hardly means that Byrne is "literarily impoverished", unless you have other
evidence to support your statement. I made mistakes in comprehension and
interpretation in my college literature classes, but I don't consider myself
literarily impoverished.

I don't mean to promote Byrne as a Wizard of Words (though I do enjoy his FF),
but give me (and him) a break.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA