[net.comics] detective comics

kayuucee@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (11/04/85)

> form. Of course, we all know the reason why they didn't, don't we --- no one
> would buy a detective comic, but lots of people will buy a comic with an
> alien in it. Bah.

	Your second statement is correct. Put an alien in something and just
about anyone will buy it. However, your first statement is something I
disagree with. It appears that many people bought `NATHANIEL DUSK I' from the
sales reports and hopefully even more will buy `NATHANIEL DUSK II'. It also
seems that MS. TREE is doing reasonably good business. I enjoy a good
detective book, but there don't seem to be very man around.
	If you do want to read a good detective comic try either Nathaniel
Dusk mini series. They are 30's detective stories and are done very well.
Another good mini series was the Mike Mauser/Ms. Tree team-up which took
many well-deserved shots at the comic industry and a few a p.i.s named Mike.

						Star-Lord

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (11/07/85)

> From:	cvl!kayuucee

>> form. Of course, we all know the reason why they didn't, don't we --- no one
>> would buy a detective comic, but lots of people will buy a comic with an
>> alien in it. Bah.
>
>	Your second statement is correct. Put an alien in something and just
> about anyone will buy it. However, your first statement is something I
> disagree with. It appears that many people bought `NATHANIEL DUSK I' from the
> sales reports and hopefully even more will buy `NATHANIEL DUSK II'. It also
> seems that MS. TREE is doing reasonably good business.

When I said that "no one" would buy a detective comic, I didn't mean literally
*no* one. Yes, sales figures on both DUSK series and MS. TREE are good, but
they're good *for a non-superhero comic*. They still don't sell anywhere near
what superhero comics sell, even restricting the latter to direct sales.

> I enjoy a good
> detective book, but there don't seem to be very man around.

Exactly! If detective comics sold as well as superhero comics, there would be
a hell of a lot more detective comics being published. The fact that I was
trying to get across is that, for all intents and purposes, THE BOZZ CHRONICLES
is the same as a Sherlock Holmes comic. But BOZZ will sell more than a Holmes
comic would, just because the main character is an alien. Likewise, there isn't
a hell of a lot of difference between HEX and the old JONAH HEX, except that
the former has a science fiction background and the latter a Western one. I'll
betcha 10 to 1 that HEX is selling much better than JONAH HEX did.

>	If you do want to read a good detective comic try either Nathaniel
> Dusk mini series. They are 30's detective stories and are done very well.
> Another good mini series was the Mike Mauser/Ms. Tree team-up which took
> many well-deserved shots at the comic industry and a few a p.i.s named Mike.

Sigh. I sometimes get the feeling that no one reads my reviews. I've reviewed
both DUSK series (I thought the first fair to middlin', the current one excel-
lent), THE P.I.'S (middlin' to fair), *and* MS. TREE (which I like a lot).

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM