[net.comics] Wild Byrne Rumors

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (11/05/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

I heard a totally unconfirmed rumor last week.
It claims that when
Jim Shooter heard that John Byrne was going to take over Superman
he told Byrne he couldn't work for both Marvel & DC.
So, Byrne will be leaving Marvel for DC very shortly.

I have no idea if this is true or not.
Like most rumors (true or false) it  seems somewhat believable
based on past occurences and the personalities involved.

Has anyone heard anything else like this?

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/09/85)

> I heard a totally unconfirmed rumor last week.
> It claims that when
> Jim Shooter heard that John Byrne was going to take over Superman
> he told Byrne he couldn't work for both Marvel & DC.
> So, Byrne will be leaving Marvel for DC very shortly.
>
> I have no idea if this is true or not.
> Like most rumors (true or false) it  seems somewhat believable
> based on past occurences and the personalities involved.

It would be consistent. A few years ago, Byrne was slated to draw a Batman
miniseries. He only drew the first issue because when Shooter found out
about it, he told Byrne he couldn't do any work for DC if he wanted to work
for Marvel. Of course, (I think) Byrne was under contract to Marvel then, and
he's a free lancer now.

I hope the rumor is true.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"A flash in front of my eyes ... I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
 a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
 off the can ... it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (11/11/85)

In article <12885@rochester.UUCP> ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP writes:
>So, Byrne will be leaving Marvel for DC very shortly.
>
>I have no idea if this is true or not.

Last I heard, Byrne had gone freelance (quietly) a few months ago.  I assume
Shooter knew of it at the time.

                        "Eddie the Mouth was a vicious animal.  But he was
                         one of the old-time vicious animals and as such had
                         some kind of moral code.  It wasn't much of a moral
                         code, but it was better than nothing..."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty