[net.comics] FF286 and signature refusal

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) (11/23/85)

> From: henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer)
> Subject: Re: X-Factor
> .......  Please note that FF#286, in which the return occurs, does not
> have Byrne's name in the credits.  He did the book, all right, but he
> refused to have his name on it.  So blaming John Byrne is, uh, a little
> inappropriate; he doesn't seem happy about all this either.

   I have seen a lot of people referring to the above mentioned
fact, but I am curious if anybody has heard straight from John
Byrne's mouth that he didn't put his name into the credits of
FF#286 for protest reasons.  I don't like to sound paranoid, but
with all of the strange sales pitches Marvel has tried lately it
seems to me that "The FF that Byrne refused to sign" might be a
sneaky way to sell out a particular issue.

			       Dwight Bartholomew
UUCP:{decvax,ihnp4,seismo,inuxc,sequent,uiucdcs }!pur-ee!pur-phy!galileo!dub
     {decwrl,hplabs,icase,psuvax1,siemens,ucbvax}|purdue!pur-phy!galileo!dub

  Help promote peace and make the world a safer place for parakeets.
						       (and people)

I didn't hear the account straight from Byrne's mouth, but I did hear it
straight from Claremont's mouth.  Not the most unbiased witness, but
definitely an inside source.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology