[net.comics] Big Three for DC

kayuucee@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (11/25/85)

	Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are the only three comic characters
that have been continually published since their pre-WWII inception. This is
of course only for comic books (I don't know anything about newspaper
comics). Well, that is about to end. Wonder Woman has been cancelled, but is
going to be brought back in her own book numbered Volume Two, Number One.
Superman is going to be cancelled, and a similar treatment applied to him.
What about Batman? Does anyone know if this will happen to him, and if not,
why not?
	Wonder Woman's sales were falling, so why bring her back. Superman's
sales were teriffic, so why tamper with a winner? Could the rumors be true?
Has Cadence bought out Warner Communications? Is Jim S. now running DC? Only
time will tell, but if the book NEW X-TITANS FACTOR OF AMERICA hits the stand
next year, I think it will be time to start buying only alternates. I would
hate to see anti-mutant hysteria take over DC.

						Star-Lord

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Naturally they became heroes.

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (12/02/85)

In article <993@cvl.UUCP> kayuucee@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) writes:

>	Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are the only three comic characters
>that have been continually published since their pre-WWII inception. This is
>of course only for comic books (I don't know anything about newspaper
>comics). Well, that is about to end. Wonder Woman has been cancelled, but is
>going to be brought back in her own book numbered Volume Two, Number One.

Well, I for one want to see how they bring back (presumably) Wonder Woman-1
after CRISIS #12.  WW-2 and Steve Trevor have apparently been retired to
Mt. Olympus, so I guess Hippolyta has to get the sculptor's knives back out.

					Bob Halloran
					Sr MTS, CONCURRENT Computer Corp
					(a Perkin-Elmer company)
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {pesnta, topaz, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724	DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: I doubt that my employer wants anything to do with my opinions.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter Thompson

slrichte@uok.UUCP (12/04/85)

>Star-Lord
>Superman is going to be cancelled...

  SUPERMAN is not going to be cancelled.  The title is going to be
  changed to something along the lines of 'The Adventures of SUPERMAN'.
  The numbering will continue.  Byrne's SUPERMAN Vol II, No I will
  be called 'SUPERMAN'.

>What about Batman?

  Since Batman has already been given an updating (back in the 60s),
  I don't believe that anything radical will be done to him.  Batman
  is still a good character and the modifications made to him over the
  years have not been detrimental enough to warrant a complete revamping
 of the character.

>Wonder Woman's sales were falling, so why bring her back?

  Wonder Woman will be brought back because she is still very valuable
  to DC and Warner Communications.  Her book didn't sell well, but
  she was a visible figurehead.

>Superman's sales were teriffic, so why tamper with a winner?

  Superman's sales were not teriffic.  Dazzler outsold Superman.
  Granted, the character is a winner, but his books have not been
  winners since the middle sixties, at least.

				Steve Richter
				slrichte@uok.UUCP