[net.comics] placenames

[Moriarty writes, in an irrelevant context:]
> ...  Things appeared in real cities, instead of fictional Metropolises
> and Gotham Cities...

Actually, Gotham City is technically real:  it's an uncommon, archaic name
for New York.  In practice, this has long since been forgotten and it's as
fictitious as the rest.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (12/04/85)

	Since the DC Universe has New York City, Gotham City cannot
occupy the same location.  I have heard that the DC role-playing game
shows Gotham City as having the general shape of Rhode Island.  That
a city is the size of a state (even the smallest) is unusual.  I don't
have the game so I cannot confirm this.  Can someone else?

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

kscott@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Kevin Scott%Kuntz) (12/05/85)

In article <1574@rayssd.UUCP> m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) writes:
>	Since the DC Universe has New York City, Gotham City cannot
>occupy the same location.  I have heard that the DC role-playing game
>shows Gotham City as having the general shape of Rhode Island.  That
>a city is the size of a state (even the smallest) is unusual.  I don't
>have the game so I cannot confirm this.  Can someone else?

I don't know if the size is unusual.  After all, New York city extends about
halfway down into New Jersey (New York city's best airport is called Newark).
The other half of New Jersey is part of Philadelphia.

Half in jest,  Kevin

Raised in (its a nice place to live but you wouldn't want to visit there) NJ
--
two to the power of five thousand against and falling ...

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (12/05/85)

> [That] a city is the size of a state (even the smallest) is unusual.
>
> Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b

I'm positive that the Los Angeles Basin is bigger than Rhode
Island.  Granted it is all divided up into little teeny
communities (Bel Air, West Hollywood, North Hollywood, Culver
City, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Brentwood, West L.A. being the
ones I come up with offhand) but everyone refers to it as just
L.A. (unless you're from Encino). But I've never been to Rhode
Island.  Anyway it seems perfectly possible to me -- but I'm
*from* L.A.

Ellen
--
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
	"Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?"

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (12/06/85)

> 	Since the DC Universe has New York City, Gotham City cannot
> occupy the same location.  I have heard that the DC role-playing game
> shows Gotham City as having the general shape of Rhode Island.  That
> a city is the size of a state (even the smallest) is unusual.  I don't
> have the game so I cannot confirm this.  Can someone else?
>
> Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
> Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

I don't know about the game, but in the issue of
DC COMICS PRESENTS where Superman meets the Earth-Prime Superboy,
Supes gets shoved into another universe, looks down at where
his home city usually is, and thinks something like,
"New York City is much bigger than it should be, and
covers the whole area where Metropolis used to be.
And Gotham seems to be part of
Boston.  This must be Earth-Prime!" or some such.

Metropolis and Gotham are sometimes referred to as existing inside states,
but the names of those states are always avoided.
So, for example, Arkham Asylum is "upstate" from Gotham
(although I think a recent issue said it was in New York State,
which would contradict WHO'S WHO, so I don't know).

This is all from memory, anyway.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (12/10/85)

As far as where the various DC fictional cities go, I think that everyone has
had different ideas on the subject. Unfortunately, that "everyone" has also
included the various writers at DC, and there has been no consistency about
it. Mike Ciaraldi quoted one comic which implied that Metropolis was a twin
city with New York and Gotham was a twin with Boston. I recall another (don't
remember what, though) that said that New York/Gotham/Metropolis were triplet
cities around the same bay, much like San Francisco/Berkeley/Oakland. There
was also a map of the US printed in a comic that showed the various fictional
cities, but I don't remember what corresponded to what. There was a time
when DC comics never used *any* real US cities (except Washington, of course),
so adding those complicated things. Anyways, these have always been *my* ideas
of the correspondence of fictional and real cities:

Metropolis		New York
Gotham City		New York
Central City		Chicago
Midway City		St. Louis
Star City		Los Angeles
Ivy Town		Boston

I can't think of any other of the fictional DC cities (except Smallville and
Midvale, both of which I never even thought of trying to fit someplace).

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM