[net.comics] Dec 6 CGB news

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (11/27/85)

	These goodies appear in the December 6 issue of CBG:

	- John Byrne is "in charge of Superman."  No other writer
can add to the mythos without Byrne's knowledge and approval.  'DC
Comics Presents' has been cancelled and a new team-up book is planned
that Byrne will also write but not draw.
	  Byrne plans to do away with Krypto, the Fortress of Soli-
tude, and the city of Kandor.  Only one piece of green kryptonite
exists; no other color variations will exist.  He won't have silly
super powers like super-hypnotism or super-ventriloquism.  It won't
occur to anyone that Superman has a secret identity so no one will
try to find out what it is.  Supergirl and Superboy will be around
only to protect DC's copyrights.  They will not be contected to
Superman.  Superman will not know that he is from another planet
for a long time because his powers will develop as he matures.

	- Elfquest has been optioned for TV by CBS as a Saturday
morning cartoon, tentatively scheduled for Fall, 1986.  These
episodes would not be based on the events in the comic but will
take place an indeterminate time after the original quest.

	- Marvel will start a new series entitle 'Strikeforce:
Morituri' penciled by Brent Anderson and written by Peter Gillis.
The premise is an alien invasion being warded off by biologically
engineered super-heroes.  It won't be part of the 'Marvel' universe.

	- Marvel always runs an ad of what is shipping in 3 weeks'
time; Avengers #266 is being shipped on December 17 that has this
on it:  "Special Epilog to Secret Wars II" and on the bottom it
declares:  "Earth's mightiest super heroes cannot save the Earth...
this little man can. But to do it will *destroy* him", referring to
the Molecule Man.  I know I'm excited!

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman) (11/27/85)

In article <1558@rayssd.UUCP> m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) writes:

>	These goodies appear in the December 6 issue of CBG:
>
>	- John Byrne is "in charge of Superman."  No other writer
>can add to the mythos without Byrne's knowledge and approval.
>	  Byrne plans to do away with Krypto, the Fortress of Soli-
					      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>tude, and the city of Kandor.  Only one piece of green kryptonite
 ^^^^

No!  Not the Fortress of Solitude!  A rationalized Fortress would be a
worthwhile piece of the Superman mythos.

But how will he lose it?  Maybe the Canadian government will seize it
to enforce its Arctic sovereignty...

hutch@hammer.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (11/28/85)

In article <1558@rayssd.UUCP> m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) writes:

>	These goodies appear in the December 6 issue of CBG:
>
>	- Elfquest has been optioned for TV by CBS as a Saturday
>morning cartoon, tentatively scheduled for Fall, 1986.  These
>episodes would not be based on the events in the comic but will
>take place an indeterminate time after the original quest.

Gee, I don't see *HOW* they could possibly get the True Charm of
ElfQuestm  into a saturday morning cartoon.  How would they get
the orgies past the censors?

Hutch ( this article is sarcasm.  Direct flames to /dev/null )

argo@hou2a.UUCP (W.GARRETT) (11/28/85)

	Just a few weeks ago, I spoke to Roger Stertn about upcoming events in
the Avengers, easily my favorite Marvel book, by the way.  I was informed that
the "special eqilogue to Secret Ward" would be the last we ever heard of the
Beyonder, and that only in a flashback.

	Even more exciting than news of Secret Bores though, he told me what
the next trilogy in the Avengers would be.  Remember about a year ago, after
Reed Richards meet his father, and we learned that one of his descendents would
be Kang, well, Avengers is finally following that up.  The first episode of the
trilogy will be titled, "The Kang Dynasty," followed by "Time and Time Again,"
and concluding with "The Once and Future Kang."  Roger was quite proud of that
last pun.  He didn't give many details as to what would happen, but promised
it would be good.  Naturally, Roger would never lie about such a thing.

						Contact Has Been Made,
						Andrew Garrett

cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/01/85)

/* Written  9:35 am  Nov 27, 1985 by jbtubman@water.UUCP in uokvax.UUCP:net.comics */
> In article <1558@rayssd.UUCP> m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) writes:
>>	  Byrne plans to do away with Krypto, the Fortress of Soli-
>>tude, and the city of Kandor.  Only one piece of green kryptonite
>
> No!  Not the Fortress of Solitude!  A rationalized Fortress would be a
> worthwhile piece of the Superman mythos.
> But how will he lose it?  Maybe the Canadian government will seize it
> to enforce its Arctic sovereignty...

He loses it the same way as he loses everything else; starting with
the new issue #1, his entire origin will be retold in the first 6
bi-weekly issues, and only what Byrne wants will be included.  If it
doesn't occur in those issues, it didn't happen, unless Byrne later
adds it.  There will be no attempt at backwards compatibility, and
thank goodness, I say.  I wish Crisis would have made as clean a
break with past continuity.  Perhaps now, unencumbered by 50 years
of excess baggage, DC will really drive Marvel into the ground.

Besides, do you really think anyone on Earth can enforce anything
vs. Superman?

		--Carl Rigney
USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!cdrigney

"It is only the unimaginative who cannot believe that man is
capable of improving on nature." -- Temper's favorite quote

rubin@mtuxn.UUCP (Mike Rubin) (12/10/85)

> 	- Elfquest has been optioned for TV by CBS as a Saturday
> morning cartoon, tentatively scheduled for Fall, 1986.  These
> episodes would not be based on the events in the comic but will
> take place an indeterminate time after the original quest.

According to some fans who have spoken with the Pinis, the episodes
will take place several years after the original quest.  Besides the
Wolfriders, characters will include the trolls Picknose and Oddbit
who have moved in under the Forbidden Grove in search of gold; in
the meantime they have married and have a girl-child by the name of
Trinket, who will be of the right age to "tag along behind Ember and
Suntop and be a pest."  The Pinis reportedly see this series as a
way to get an audience for the long-planned Elfquest animated movie,
which would still be a reprise of the original comic.

Anybody know who's doing the animation?