[net.comics] Orphaned Response

oz@rlgvax.UUCP (09/04/83)

#R:hp-dcd:21300004:rlgvax:-1:37777777600:341
rlgvax!oz    Jul 28 16:35:00 1983

How many of you out there think that Chris had something else in mind, and
then was either forced to change his mind, or wimped out?  It would not be
the first time for old "C.C."  The build up was way to much for the story
that we ended up seeing.  I still think that Madeline doesn't look THAT much
like Jean.

				OZ
				seimso!rlgvax!oz

kel@ea.UUCP (08/23/84)

#R:hound:-57900:ea:2300005:37777777600:189
ea!kel    Aug 22 17:36:00 1984

Locate, and go to a comics convention in your area, if you
don't have any better ideas.  you'll at least get an idea
what prices are.  The dealer you mentioned was trying to
rip you off.

iv@trsvax.UUCP (09/05/84)

#R:houca:-47600:trsvax:62200007:000:405
trsvax!iv    Sep  5 10:45:00 1984

/***** trsvax:net.comics / hp-dcde!jack /  9:50 pm  Sep  1, 1984 */
The Sub-Mariner is arguably Namor MacKenzie.

				-Jack Applin
				{hplabs,csu-cs,hp-pcd,nwuxd}!hp-dcd!jack
/* --------------------------------------------------------------------- */

Like, take off, hoser, he is not...

				IV  (aka John Elliott IV)
				Tandy Systems Software; Fort Worth, TX
				...{convex!ctvax,microsoft}!trsvax!iv

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (10/31/84)

>> From: dartvax!mwm     (Mark Modrall)
>> Just a quick note about x-men 137.... i agree with the way
>> that it was handled. Jean had just killed a star system, but
>> more than that, what  ...  would that do? you would
>> have one normal person who used to be god that would have to
>> fade into the wood-work... no, the way they did it, they got rid
>> of a too powerful character, and made a hell of a good tear-
>> jerker out of it....

> decwrl!boyajian
> Apparently, you're not aware of Claremont's plans for her
> if she had lived. Magneto finds out about
> Jean's "lobotomy", and convinces her that he can restore her
> powers to her if she'll betray the X-Men and help him. It
> doesn't really matter whether or not he *can* do it, just as long
> as she believes that he *might* be able to do it. Her inner
> struggle to decide whetheror not to go along with him would've
> formed the basis for #150 (if you had lost all of *your* senses,
> wouldn't you really consider doing *anything* to get them
> back?).
> I'm sorry that this storyline wasn't able to be pursued.

So am I, deeply.  In an interview Claremont said that the speech
the Watcher gave at the end of #137 was originally intended for
#150, after Jean turns down Magneto's offer.

#150 is one of my favorite issues anyway, for what it shows us
about Magneto, but I wish...

Carl
{allegra,ihnp4}!convex!ctvax!uokvax!lmaher

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (10/31/84)

This reply is about a week old, but since I've got no time for
further revision before I leave for Fermilab, here goes:

uokvax wasn't recieving news for the last two weeks, and
they all arrived today.  So I read all 100 or so of them
in one setting. With that as a possible alibi, ...

>vax2!moriarty
>
>SWAMP THING ANNUAL #2 [A+]:

After a review like this, I guess I've *got to* look into this,
although the two issues I've tried so far were only good (liked
Pog, tho).

>last things to get a tingle going along the spine was X-Men #175, the X-Men
>graphic novel ("God creates, man kills"? -- truly one of the best endings in
>a long time (the progressive frames going from the wounded Rev. to the
>policeman who shot him... that STILL gets me!)),...

The Marvel Graphic Novel "God Loves, Man Kills" is one of my
favorites too.  Who can forget the opening scene?  And Anne is
one of my five favorite villains in all of comics, on sheer guts
alone.

>X-MEN #189 [B-]:
>
>...The '-' is for a
>mistake I think I found: In the X-Men annual, hasn't Kitty just gotten back
>from Japan with Logan?  Because if this is true, then why is she in Japan
>when Ororo leaves?

Perhaps Ororo gets caught up in the Kulan Gath return to yesteryear,
(her ship didn't get far enough away?) and doesn't leave for good
until 192.  [This has come out since I wrote this and does just that]

>	One thing:  I believe that "newscast" on the Sony Watchman shown at
>the end must have been a paid political broadcast.  I cannot believe that
>America has devolved enough in the X-Men's world where fascist propoganda
>could go out over the airwaves as a newscast.

During the World Wars, how did commentators discuss the enemy?
Or how are mass murderers treated in the news?  (I mean, other
than selling the rights to their story for big bucks to pay
lawyers with. :-) )

>A paid political broadcast,
>yes (Lyndon LaRouche does it ALL the time!), but the newscaster doing it
>would indicate a general rottenness at the core -- I just don't think it
>could go over so blatantly.

Maybe it was an unpaid commentary, inviting spokesman for the
opposite side to apply for equal time. Or maybe the newsman let
his own prejudices slant his delivery and spoke out of line, in
which case he'll no doubt be hearing from the Mutant Defense
League.  Speaking of which,...

>I mean, there must be a Moriarty clone on
>Earth-Marvel... what the hell's HE up to?  Organizing Pro-Mutant-Rights
>marches, I'll bet... :-)

Probably flaming about it in net.super.villains! :-)  But we all know
that Earth-Marvel's Moriarty *IS* a mutant...

>THE P.I.'S #1 [D]:
>
>	Well, back to the drawing board....

Hey, this was great fun!  I love the way they get on each other's
nerves; just wait and see as they grow fonder of each other
(grudgingly), and wind up getting married.  (If anyone *needs* the
:-) on this, I don't think I wanna know.)

>DREADSTAR #14 [C-]:
>
>	"I~Imagine the announcer for Bullwinkle:
>
>	"Well, it looks pretty grim for the boys this time!  Stay tuned next
>week for 'Growing Old Gracefully', or, 'You Broke My Sword In San Francisco'!"
>
>"Gosh, Bullwinkle, what'll we do now?"

I gave up Dreadstar around #6, in hindsight it seems a wise choice.
But the quotes certainly brought back some fond, if irrelevant,
memories.

>TIME SPIRITS #1 [C-]:
>
>	I believe this is still germinating... but Yeates is as spooky as he
>ever was in SWAMP THING, and the creature who inhabits the chief's body is
>pretty scary...

That's intriguing enough to con me into picking up an issue.
[I wasn't sorry I did so.  The Bloodless Gheebe is indeed chilling.]

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (11/01/84)

>Note 172      Re: OC (operant conditioning and nin
>shark!hutch                                  1:12 pm  Oct  4, 1984
>
>I don't think that what is happening to Kitty in K&W has a lot to do
>with operant conditioning.  What actually is happening there is that
>the author read too many Eric Von Lustbader books.
>I suspect that Kitty is being prepared in a similar fashion, except that
>that it is there.  The training-under-brainwashing method won't do this
>reliably because it is unstable in sufficiently intelligent people.
>Also, she has had Xavier's training in mind control.  She should be able
>to throw off the conditioning.

And I'll bet she does, probably in time to defeat the bad guy.
The obvious guess is that "killing" Wolverine will snap her out,
but with three issues to go that's too premature.

>SPOILER WARNING:
>
>Oh, by the way, in "Ninja" when the hero inevitably manages to safely
>disarm his "possessed" lover, she snaps the conditioning, but retains
>the full set of skills she was given by the bad guy.  This is interesting
>because she realizes that she hasn't got the discipline nor the maturity
>to safely hold those skills.
>
>It will be interesting to see what they do with Kitty in this regard.

I bet she does the same, and loses the skills.  Which would be
a real shame, because I'd *like* to see Kitty remain deadly
(even if she's not really a midget, just short :-) ).
Have others noticed that the most bloodthirsty of the X-Men/Newts
are the young women: Rachel (so she's really 34 - sue me),
Amara, Danielle, Illyana, and possibly now Kitty are willing to
kill if the stakes are high enough, just like Wolverine.
Seems to me Logan could take these 5 and do some *serious* damage
to Operation Wideawake, Shaw Industries, and Henry Peter Gyrich.
Hey, there could even be a mini-series in this!  We could call
it, let's see...  Wolverine and the Weasel Pack! :-)

	Carl Rigney, President of the Deadly Midget Fan Club
USMail: Box 192, Seminole, OK  74868
USENET: {allegra,ihnp4}!convex!ctvax!uokvax!lmaher
	(but off to Fermilab from November 1 to mid-January)
	"They little knew of brotherhood, the faith of fighting men..."

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (11/01/84)

decwrl!boyajian on Iron Man:
>The latest issue is worth reading, though, for one panel: to defeat the Termite,
>Tony calls the Avengers, and Vision acquires for him (presumably, since Tony
>didn't previously know about it, the Vision said "I've got just the thing..."),
>from Gyrich, Forge's Neutralizer, which the Scarlet witch brings along. After
>learning about the growing Mutant Fear in the country, Tony says:
>
>"I'd like to take a good look at this thing before we use it-- I may just have
>to make an anti-neutralizing device some day!"
>
>(heh heh)
>
>--- jmb

But you must have missed the panel where Rhodey *crushes* the
device - so it looks like Tony won't get a chance to study it.
Or at least that's how I felt the scene was meant - Rhodey's
arrogance could someday cost the Scarlet Witch her life - if
things get bad enough.

	"O to be in Chicago, now that Wintertime is here..."

	Carl Rigney

broehl@wateng.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (11/04/84)

>>The latest issue is worth reading, though, for one panel: to defeat the Termite,
>>Tony calls the Avengers, and Vision acquires for him (presumably, since Tony
>>didn't previously know about it, the Vision said "I've got just the thing..."),
>>from Gyrich, Forge's Neutralizer, which the Scarlet witch brings along. After
>>learning about the growing Mutant Fear in the country, Tony says:
>>
>>"I'd like to take a good look at this thing before we use it-- I may just have
>>to make an anti-neutralizing device some day!"
>>
>>(heh heh)
>>
>>--- jmb
>
>But you must have missed the panel where Rhodey *crushes* the
>device - so it looks like Tony won't get a chance to study it.

Although he may have had time in between that observation and the time the
neutralizer was crushed to determine the principles on which it's based.
In any case, the *feasability* of an anti-neutralizer has been mentioned;
even without the original, it sounds like it's possible for someone (Forge,
Tony, Reed, any number of others) to come up with such a device..
--
        -Bernie Roehl    (University of Waterloo)
	...decvax!watmath!wateng!broehl

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (02/20/85)

<Just dropped in for a comment...>

Like Laurie Sefton, I prefer Earth-2.  I cannot stand the Earth-1
Superman, but the Earth-2 Superman I like, because he's
vulnerable - "He never got past the leaping tall buildings in a
single bound bit, and while immune to bursting shells, he was not
invulnerable; a building falling on him could kill."  There's a
scene in one of the All-Stars shortly after its revival that
shows the aging Clark Kent responding to an emergency.  He steps
into a closet, there's a whoosh and a flutter of paper, and he's
gone.  It may sound inconsequential in words, but it struck me as
one of the most powerful moments in comics (well, maybe not all
that much, but...).

Perhaps the natural aging of Earth-2's heroes reinforces the
sense of their mortality.  I also like the Huntress very much,
and while I don't like Infinity, Inc. I do like the idea of
second-generation heroes.  I hope that with this reorganization
DC will begin to age their characters at a real time rate, so 20
years from now we'll be seeing their children take up the cape
and mask.

Currently I'm not enjoying CRISIS, but at least it's better than
Secret Wars (what wouldn't be?!).

	"In nature there are neither rewards nor penalties,
		there are consequences."

		Carl Rigney
USMAIL:		Dorm 4, Room 45/ Fermilab/ Box 500/ Batavia, IL 60510
TELEPHONE:	(312) 840-4922 at home or 840-4653 at work
BITNET:		RIGNEY@FNAL
SLAC DECNET:	FNAL::RIGNEY (if you can reach the node FNAL)
USENET:		allegra!convex!ctvax!uokvax!lmaher (will be printed
						out and forwarded)

neutron@hpfcla.UUCP (neutron) (08/15/85)

>> Way back when when Phoenix was still believed to be Jean Grey she put part
>> of her essence or life force into this little crystal ball. If I remember
>> right it was supposed to be a gift to Scott.

As I recall, it was given to Scott at Jean's funeral by Lilandra (sp?)
and how it was created was not revealed.  We saw it frown once.

					-Jack Applin

yoshida@hpfcla.UUCP (09/09/85)

The  SHADOW?  Is this the same  shadow of Pulp hero  fame that was later
made into a comic by DC (written by Denny O'Neil, drawn by Mw Kaluta.  A
very good mag in the  beginning,  but it slowly  deteriorated  after its
first 7 or 8 issues,  and then  quietly  died).  I'm looking  forward to
seeing this flick, whatever the case may be...

Stuart Yoshida
Hewlett-Packard, Fort Collins
UUCP:  ...ihnp4!hpfcla!hpfclh!yoshida

** The  preceding  statements do not reflect the views of my  employers,
** so don't blame them, BLAME ME!!

rs@mirror.UUCP (10/10/85)

"As the Mutant Turns"!

Wonderful!  Send it to CBG, send it to Shitter(sp?), send
it everywhere!

(And who's the writer?  Stand up and take the credit you'r due!)

--
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Ave.

yoshida@hpfcla.UUCP (12/04/85)

  It's hard not to accept an invitation  from Jeff to discuss a relevant
  topic in "net.comics."  And although I wasn't fortunate enough to pick
  up an issue of Miracle  Man #1 or 2 (and what with the price of a back
  issue  running at $5 and up it seems  unlikely  that I'll read them in
  the near  future),  I'd  nonetheless  like to  comment  on some of the
  topics he brought up.

  The concept of Stage I and II Superheroes is a logical grouping of the
  comics book  characters  as they started in their raw form in the late
  30's and their present  "modern"  counterparts  in the 80's.  (See the
  parent   article  for  a  detailed   description.)  Jeff  makes  broad
  generalizations  which are, of course,  necessary to try and discern a
  pattern,  and at the same time (as  should  be) he  acknowledges  that
  there are always  exceptions.  So what we're  talking  about  here are
  TRENDS.

  Admittedly, I have a narrower first-hand experience (so to speak) than
  a lot of people in reguard to the number of comics I've read.  My main
  diet  consisted of DC's line  starting  from the late 60's with only a
  smattering of Marvel mixed in.  However, I'm an avid fan of comic book
  history, and I've read many an article about the origins of the DC and
  Marvel Universes.

  I think  Stage III  showed  itself in the  birth of the  Independents.
  (Okay,  okay, I know it sounds  obvious,  but SOMEONE  has to say it.)
  Pacific,  Eclipse,  First,  Renegade,  and (to a lesser  extent)  Epic
  Comics  (to name a few)  provided  an  alternative  to the  mainstream
  titles  that had long  held the  market in a  stranglehold.  One of my
  first  encounters  with the  independents  was "Somerset  Holmes" from
  Pacific  Comics, a superb  series of  intrigue  and a  first-rate  spy
  thriller.  What is more, the main character possessed no super-powers,
  and you could  conceivably  convince  yourself  that, yes indeed, this
  story might REALLY have happened.  The "alternates"  had the advantage
  of having a clean slate; they could do WHATEVER they wanted to without
  fear  of  ruining  continuity.  Maybe  this  approach  was  better  --
  however,  it does  threaten to repeat past  mistakes.  The DC Universe
  started off as a group of characters  that knew nothing of the other's
  existence,  and then books like the  All-Star  Squadron,  the  Justice
  League, the (in)famous Flash cross-over story, and so on, created such
  a miasma of  confusion  that  CRISIS ON  INFINITE  EARTHS was  finally
  conceived to do some major surgery to the DC legend.

  So, are the independents ushering in a new age?  Will Superheroes have
  more "believeable" powers and living situations such as "Miracle Man,"
  or will these Stage III  characters  be bereft of fantastic  abilities
  such as "Somerset  Holmes"?  The trend, I feel, is DEFINITELY upon us.
  What its form will be is  certainly  hard to tell.  Most  likely  from
  what I've read of the Independents the new Heroes will have less power
  and more  characterization.  Everyone looks for milestones,  and maybe
  Miracle  Man is that  milestone.  Unfortunately,  only  time  (and the
  readers response) will tell...

  And finally...A Merry Christmas to all you folks out in Netland!

  Stuart Yoshida

  "One World (Not Three)"

   hp-sdd!-------\
     hp-pcd!------\
       csu-cs!-----\
         ihnp4!----->--hpfcla!hpfclh!yoshida
       edison!-----/
     hpbbn!-------/
   hplabs!-------/

slrichte@uok.UUCP (12/11/85)

> Written  6:26 pm  Nov 30, 1985 by henry@utzoo.UUCP in uok.UUCP:net.comics */

>[X-FACTOR is] the flagship of the
>"go for the money, never mind the quality" philosophy that is probably
>going to cause a hemorrhage of creative talent away from Marvel.

 Actually, the thought of the royalty money from a title like
 X-FACTOR is probably all the incentive many comic creators need
 to stick around the ol' bullpen.

                                     --Steve Richter

USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!uok!slrichte

USMAIL:         S. Richter c/o Southside, 754 Asp, Norman, OK 73069

slrichte@uok.UUCP (12/13/85)

>From: ma3752af@unmc.UUCP  (Vincent J. Murphy?)
>Is there anyone else out there who hates Marvel as much as I do?
>I dare them to make their presence known to mankind.

 Since the current trend is to dump on Marvel, you shouldn't have to
 dare anyone to speak up--Marvel has certainly published many poorly
 crafted stories in the last few years.  However, Marvel is also re-
 sponsible for many of the good comics to come out in the last few
 years.  Power Pack, Black Dragon, and Doctor Strange, for instance,
 have been very good titles.  A blanket statement like "I hate Marvel
 Comics" is as absurd as the "DC Sucks" brandished about by the nean-
 dertal zombies I ocassionally meet.

>But after reading a multitude of other Marvel titles, I
>found that Daredevil was the only one to keep my attention.

 Daredevil is certainly unique in its gritty, "realistic", content.
 Several comic readers I know buy only Daredevil and the Elektra books.
 You should be glad there's SOMETHING on the stands that you enjoy.

>I don't care about mutants, and neither do most 9 year-old
>kids.

 What has that got to do with anything?  Most nine year olds kids
 don't even read comic books.

>If I want philosophy I'll read a novel.....

 Criticising comics for what they don't contain is ultimately a
 fruitless effort.