[net.comics] Miller's Daredevil

frankr@inmet.UUCP (12/09/85)

I just finished the most recent Daredevil. I think that Miller's work is
outstanding. The only problem I have with this story is the quickness of
Murdock's mental collapse. Even if we eventually discover that it was
hastened by drugs (I think they would have to be bloody subtle drugs to
escape the notice of Matt's hyper senses, eh?) I would have liked to see
a more gradual decay.

And that is my only complaint. That's it, the only one. A single complaint.

This has quickly become one of my favorite books. I think that Miller
does the definitive Kingpin. In his hands Fisk becomes a complex, evil
man with weaknesses and strengths and passions and pettiness. Miller's
Kingpin is my favorite Marvel villan.

The battle between the Kingpin and the Daredevil has epic qualities. The
tale is told in grand melodramatic strokes. Fisk is unrelentingly evil and
Murdock is the battered but ultimately undefeated hero. I think Miller does
this sort of story better than anyone writing comics today.

Good stuff.

Franklin Reynolds
ihpn4!inmet!frankr

soren@reed.UUCP (Soren Petersen) (12/14/85)

In article <18200013@inmet.UUCP> frankr@inmet.UUCP writes:

>I just finished the most recent Daredevil. I think that Miller's work is
>outstanding. The only problem I have with this story is the quickness of
>Murdock's mental collapse. Even if we eventually discover that it was
>hastened by drugs (I think they would have to be bloody subtle drugs to
>escape the notice of Matt's hyper senses, eh?) I would have liked to see
>a more gradual decay.

I don't think the Murdock's mental collapse, is that quick.  I remember
noting how he was running himself ragged in the original Miller run (#158-
193?).  Miller never did anything in particular with it but I remember
several instances where, if Murdock didn't go over the edge he came very
close.  (Remember the time he dug up Elektra's grave?).  I don't have
the relevant issues at hand, so I can't be more specific, but it seems to
me that Murdock hasn't been portrayed as a great lawyer in close to

And of course, it will no doubt be revealed that the his Murdock's collapse
is partially due to drugs and we can be subjected to yet another smug,
self-congratulatory issue where Daredevil beats the living shit out of
some poor sap while saying "take that, you dirty pusher."   I don't
want to start a debate on the pros and cons of drugs but I am getting
really sick of the standard comic book view of the issue.  I find the
Idea, so often expressed, that everything evil and nasty in this world
is caused by a few slimebags who can be eliminated by a few superheroes,
to be simplistic at best, and offensive at worst.

Anyhow, enough preaching.  I put it to the Net.  Are there any
1)any good stories about drugs

2)any good anti-drug stories in comics.

Thank you in advance,
			Have a Nice Day,
				Soren Petersen

wpl@burdvax.UUCP (William P Loftus) (12/18/85)

I remember a comic in epic (I think?) of a dream a druggie was having
about an earth that was nuked.

As I remember earth was being used as a place to bury people,
and this guy's job was to bring the bodies to earth.  On one trip
to earth he finds out that muntants that live on the nuked earth are
eating the bodies left there.

Anyway to make a long story short the druggie wakes up and finds out
that he is one of the mutants that feeds on the bodies left on earth.
The story was kind of boring, but the last frame uses drugs to
explain the story making an interesting point.

--
      /
     /         /======/                 Ronin   ..!burdvax!wpl