[net.comics] reluctant/inexperienced heros

harry@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (& I. Rubin) (12/25/85)

In article <11900091@uok.UUCP> slrichte@uok.UUCP writes:

>>...there will also be a *as far as I know) one-shot PARADAX comic.
>>Jerry Boyajian
>
> According to the latest CBG (#632, Dec. 27) the Paradax one-shot and
> the planned Robo-Hunter comic will not appear.
>                                     --Steve Richter

That's too bad, I would have liked to have seen a full-size Paradax story.
I rather liked Paradax, in fact, I am finding that the characters and stories
which interest me most these days are the of "reluctant hero" type,
or of the "new-and inexperienced hero" type (they often are mixed, which is
better yet).  Paradax never planned to be or wanted to be a hero, he just
stumbled into his special suit, and being a hero seemed like the right thing
to do.  What makes Paradax interesting, what makes it special in its
reluctant-hero genre, is that Paradax, the person inside the suit, is basically
a lazy slob.  About all you ever see him do outside the suit is drink beer,
watch television, and fool around with his girlfriend.  So how come as soon as
he gets this special suit he starts being a do-gooder?  That's what I want to
know.  And what effect will it have on him, on his personality and behavior
outside the suit?  He is also a "new and inexperienced hero," obviously, and
I like to watch how such heros learn to handle their situation, as well as how
they learn to handle their powers and abilities.  I think that for me, watching
people learn to cope with having special abilities as a moral/ethical issue
and what it does to them as people, and watching them learn to handle the
abilities technically, is the most interesting thing going on in comics these
(strange) days.  (Sorry, I should post a "bad pun" warning.)

Reluctant heros are the center of many good comics:
	* Mage is perhaps the most reluctant hero; he copes, sort of,
	  by refusing to believe he is a hero.
	* Mike Moran in Miracleman is learning to cope with being a hero,
	  as is his wife Liz.  I like the way they are shown experimenting
	  with Miracleman's powers (among other good things I like about
	  Miracleman).
	* Whisper.  I thought the Whisper special was really enjoyable.
	  Unfortunately the segments in First Adventures have not been very
	  good, I mean, I haven't enjoyed them much.  Anyway, she is a confused
	  person exploring what she can do with her abilities, not sure what
	  she it is she wants to do with them, if anything.
	* The Power kids in Power Pack.
	* I like Dragonfly, a lady who gets zapped with powers by accident
	  and doesn't want them.  Along with the required WHAM!! BLAM!! and
	  POW!!, there is some good exploration of how she feels about it and
	  what she is doing about it.  I recommend Dragonfly, and I will try
	  to write a review of the first two issues someday.
	* The original idea of X-Men is to take teen-agers with powers and
	  teach them how to cope with the powers themselves and with having
	  the powers.
	* The only interesting thing about Thunderbunny is that the kid turns
	  into a hero he thinks is really stupid, and there is some danger that
	  he won't be able to turn back.  This makes him a very reluctant hero.
	  Unfortunately, the writer didn't explore this in the first couple of
	  issues and I lost interest.
There are lots more, but I think you get the idea.

The converse is also true, hero who are too competent do not hold my interest.
Superman is just too good at what he does; he knows exactly what he can do,
and he has been a hero so long that he knows how to handle almost any
situation.  Spiderman similarly.  I like Pressbutton and Laser Eraser, but they
seem too good at what they do, it all seems too easy, too pat.

Do you feel the same way?  When a new book comes out, what determines whether
you like the characters and situation?  Have I voiced a common sentiment,
or do I stand alone?

Reluctantly yours,
						Harry

(Please respond to the net.  Thanks.)