[net.comics] Has Stan Lee written a book?

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (01/02/86)

I was riding a New York City bus the other day & I saw an advertisement
for a book written by Stan Lee. I don't remeber the title, but it didn't
strike me as being related to comics. I was just wondering if anyone out
there in netland knew if it is the same Stan Lee and/or what the book
is about.
Thanks.
                                                          Shawn P. Daly
                                                          New York Blood Center
                                                          New York, N.Y.

frankr@inmet.UUCP (01/04/86)

I think the book in question is titled "Conundrum". It seemed like a
spy/thriller. I don't know if "Stan Lee" is our Stan Lee.

Franklin Reynolds
ihpn4!inmet!frankr

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (01/06/86)

Yes, Stan Lee HAS written a book, but it's not the Stan
Lee we've come to know and...well...

Anyway, it's called "Dunn's Conundrum, and according to
my father (who's reading it) it's pretty good.  A little
TOO good to be written by our Stan. (Lee is not his real
name anyway, I understand).

				Scott Berry

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (01/07/86)

In article <204@nybcb.UUCP> daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) writes:
>I was riding a New York City bus the other day & I saw an advertisement
>for a book written by Stan Lee. I don't remeber the title, but it didn't
>strike me as being related to comics. I was just wondering if anyone out
>there in netland knew if it is the same Stan Lee and/or what the book
>is about.

Yeah, _Dunn's_Conundrum_.  I read about 5 pages, and if it's The Man, then
his writing style has changed.

         "Is that how a warped brain like
          your's gets its kicks? By planning the
          deaths of innocent people?"
                                        "No... by *causing* the deaths of
                                         innocent people."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (01/10/86)

> From:	hou2g!scott	(Scott Berry)

> Anyway, it's called "Dunn's Conundrum, and according to
> my father (who's reading it) it's pretty good.  A little
> TOO good to be written by our Stan. (Lee is not his real
> name anyway, I understand).

Well, that all depends on how you define "real name". Stan Lee (the comic
book kahuna) was born Stanley Lieber, but Stan Lee has been his legal name
for a very long time.

> From:	lzaz!nrh (Nigel The Mad Englishman or The Madly Maundering
		Mumbler in the Wildernesses)

> I was once told that Stan Lee was the same person as the one time editor
> of Analog who has written a book or two under the name Stanley Schmitz.

(1) It's Stanley Schmidt, not Schmitz.
(2) He isn't "the one time editor", but the current editor of ANALOG.
(3) I have met Stanley Schmidt, and he looks nothing like the dust jacket
	photo of DUNN'S CONUNDRUM's author. (Of course, Stephen King
	doesn't look at all like "Richard Bachman", either. :-))

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM