[net.comics] About those Moose .. er .. Moriarty Reviews ...

datanguay@watdaisy.UUCP (David Tanguay) (01/16/86)

> WARP GRAPHICS ANNUAL #1 [~ D]:
>  I quit reading A Distant Soil an issue back or so,
> as the plot had become too boring for it's convoluted structure;
> however, here the dialogue is good, the art fine, and the coloring
> excellent

	I thought the same about ADS, but I gave it one last chance and read
	the whole series at once. I was surprised at how simple the story was,
	and at how quick (relative to my first, issue-by-issue impression)
	the story moved. I think it's all those names.

>   As to the others, a very
> inconsequential ElfQuest story, with below-standard art and awful
> coloring.

	The art is not by Wendy Pini (I forget who, but I agree to quality).
	The story was told before (or related to enough times to be known)
	somewhere in the Elfquest library (the non-graphical novel, I think):
	I knew it before seeing it here, at any rate.

>  An epilogue to Blood of the Innocent which is
> unnecessary and confuses the mini-series;

	I liked the mini-series! (I suspect a conflict of interest when Moriarty
	gives reviews about Victorian criminals getting clobbered.) I found this
	story a nice completion to the series, and not at all confusing (flashing
	lights don't confuse blind people either...)

> Panda Khan, Unicorn Isle and Captain Obese, none of which held my
> attention.

	How can you not like Captain Obese? I figure that in 5 or 10 years I'll
	be (re-)reading Captain Obese for inspiration...

> AMERICAN FLAGG! #28 [C-]:
> OK, a lot of appeal is gone with the absence of Chaykin's art -- but
> Chaykin's writing seems a little loose, also.  I had some problems
> following what exactly was happening during the infiltration into
> Headhunter territory -- first, Medea calls in Flagg so that a "cool
> head is kept" -- and then, when the gung-ho Major Keister wants to
> charge in after the person they're following, Medea follows him,
> instead of waiting for Reuben's cue.

	Nothing but a young ranger with an adrenaline rush (it's easier to command
	'go' than 'stop').

>  Who called Medea a "bleeding
> heart", anyway -- Reuben or Keister?

	Keister, of course. This is obvious from the structure of the group in
	the previous panels and where the word ballons point to in the panel in
	question (Flagg is immediately to Medea'a right, not way out in front of
	her). (Better not let Sherlock find out about this slip-up!)

David Tanguay

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (01/22/86)

(>> indicates original posting by (I think) the Napoleon of Crime himself...)
In article <7561@watdaisy.UUCP> datanguay (David Tanguay) writes:

>>   As to the others, a very
>> inconsequential ElfQuest story, with below-standard art and awful
>> coloring.
>
> The art is not by Wendy Pini (I forget who, but I agree to quality).
> The story was told before (or related to enough times to be known)
> somewhere in the Elfquest library (the non-graphical novel, I think):
> I knew it before seeing it here, at any rate.

The story (about how Redlance "earned" his name) is given in the novelization
of the first five issues, called "Journey to Sorrow's End".  I'm not sure if
it is still readily available.  Does anyone know if a second novel is to be
made (or released)?

I agree; no one draws elves quite like Wendy.  Has she been too busy drawing
the bridging art for the Epic series (the reprinting)?

                    "If you have four fingers, and you take away one,
                          what do you have?"
                                                "Blood!"
(Moriarty, if you can identify where this came from, it's yours.)
--
 |_  _|/ \|_  _|              Jim Poltrone (a/k/a Poltr1,