[net.comics] Secret Wars III #1

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/18/86)

So, what did you all think of Secret Wars III #1?  It seems obvious to
me that the hole to the Oververse was clearly created by the death of
the Beyonder in SW II #9.   I suppose that since the being from the
Oververse said he "came from way out yonder", someone will start
calling him the Yonder. *sigh*
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

harry@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (& I. Rubin) (01/20/86)

In article <278@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>I suppose that since the being from the
>Oververse said he "came from way out yonder", someone will start
>calling him the Yonder.

The Yonder.  Yawn.

(I haven't seen the comic; this is a pun, not an opinion.)

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (01/21/86)

> So, what did you all think of Secret Wars III #1?  It seems obvious to
> me that the hole to the Oververse was clearly created by the death of
> the Beyonder in SW II #9.   I suppose that since the being from the
> Oververse said he "came from way out yonder", someone will start
> calling him the Yonder. *sigh*
> --
> Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

Speaking of which, I just read a one-shot called SECRET DOORS
which brings all the Marvel characters (or actually near-replicas)
together at the "Motel at the Edge of Reality" to play
a version of "Let's Make a Deal".

An other-dimensional guy from "Over Yonder" (called "The Overyonder"
for that reason) offers them choices of various things.

The Amusing Spinning-Guy gets a new costume (the old one was
somewhat soiled due to his shock at meeting the OverYonder), which
turns out to be solid white.

Other stuff about the same level of funniness.

But my favorite is the Thing-Analog who has a choice of
what's on the plate and what's behind the curtain.
The Mr.Fantastic parody says,
"Take what's behind the curtain. Trust me old friend."
What's behind the curtain turns out to be H.U.B.E.R.T. the
Robot, who starts pestering him. What he rejected on the plate
turns out to be a box of all-purpose Creature Cure which
would have restored his humanity.
Just what you always wished would happen when Reed says,
"Trust me old friend", right?

It ends up with Superman and Batman showing up and bragging
about their limited series, where whole universes died, new
characters were created and old ones destroyed, and so on.
Spinning-Guy points out that he got a costume, and
that was the major result of HIS limited series.
The Marvel characters try to move over to the other series,
but no such luck, so they just decide to have a big fight instead.

This is, incidentally, a real comic.  Publisher info available
if anyone is interested.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

clyde@ut-dillo.UUCP (Head UNIX slave) (01/22/86)

Re: SECRET DOORS
	Yes, yes, YES! I MUST have it!!! Tell me how I can take advantage
	of this limited time TV offer!

--
Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots @ Univ. of Texas Computation Center; Austin, Texas

"All life is a blur of Republicans and meat." -Zippy the Pinhead

	clyde@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU, clyde@sally.UTEXAS.EDU
	...!ihnp4!ut-ngp!clyde, ...!allegra!ut-ngp!clyde