[net.comics] Grendel, Zot, Alan Moore, and Byrne misc.

cc-30@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (01/19/86)

     It was recently mentioned in the new Amazing Heroes Preview that
Zot will be having an issue #10 1/2.  Does anybody have that article, and
could they post the information?  Something about an 8 1/2" x 11"
piece of paper folded twice and stapled? Sheesh.

     Eclipse named the artist for Grendel, in its .little giveaway what's coming
flyers, but I couldn't remember the name. (sorry. I know.) What I wanted to
know if anybody but me has heard Wagner say that Grendel will be a woman?!
I have this weird supposition that this upcoming Grendel is not the same
Grendel backing up Mage, and is in fact, said story's narrator.  Anybody
know anything concrete?

     For anybody who likes Alan Moore, but doesn't know where to find his
stuff, take heart.  2000 AD is back in monthly format.  "D.R. and Quinch
Go to Hollywood" graces the first issue of this now-regular title.  (If
you remember the "D.R. and Quinch Get Drafted" stories, you've seen the
limited series).  If you haven't HEARD of D.R. and Quinch, you're in for a
treat. Moore does Valley/mindless violence/humor. (approximate quotes: "There
are awesome places, and then there are totally awesome places, and then there
is Hollywood." "By some amazing coincidence, there was a Hollywood on this
totally scumball planet called Earth that Quinch and I destroyed one time.
This isn't that Hollywood.  This is a different Hollywood.")
     One of the other stories is also by Moore: "Skizz". I think it's a
kangaroo. Weird.
     Also, the British magazine Warrior has numerous Moore works: V for
Vendetta, Big Ben, Marvelman (reprinted as Miracleman) and a few others.
All the Warrior Marvelmans will be printed in Miracleman 1-6, and DC has
picked up V for Vendetta (it's being colored!--and Alan Moore says it's
being done well! I'll believe it when I see it.) so you don't HAVE to
rush out and buy a complete run.
     The 2000 AD is also thinking of running Moore's Halo Jones stuff.
     If you're wondering about getting the 3-D Miracleman, it's a reprint of
the Marvelman Special (in 3-D, of course), which has only about three pages
scripted by Moore.  A good three pages, but only three pages, so if it's
not worth it to you, I wouldn't suggest getting it.

      Last item:  I heard a rumor (REPEAT RUMOR!!!!) entirely unsubstantiated,
that Byrne left the Fantastic Four two weeks ago.  Anybody know if it's
not just a rumor?

                                     ---Kathy Li

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (01/20/86)

Ah, while most of the country continues to suffer under snowdrifts and the
like, the comics news makes everything sound like springtime.  My thanks to
the fellow who posted the spring schedule; I can see a prospective shortage
in funds heading in my direction like Halley's comet.  But, onto the rumors:

In article <11445@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> cc-30@cory.UUCP (Kathy Li) writes:
>     It was recently mentioned in the new Amazing Heroes Preview that
>Zot will be having an issue #10 1/2.

Depends how new; AH talked about a planned issue a while ago, but their
preview issues often talk about "just in the planning stages" books (though
they're very upfront about it, which I appreciate).

> [...]and DC has
>picked up V for Vendetta (it's being colored!--and Alan Moore says it's
>being done well! I'll believe it when I see it.) so you don't HAVE to
>rush out and buy a complete run.

[Silent exultation]

>      Last item:  I heard a rumor (REPEAT RUMOR!!!!) entirely unsubstantiated,
>that Byrne left the Fantastic Four two weeks ago.  Anybody know if it's
>not just a rumor?

I've heard the same rumor over and over, and am not putting much faith in
it.  With Byrne quiting Hulk so that he can do Supes, he is a natural target
for spontaneous rumors, so I take it with a grain of salt.  What made me
think was the realization that I *don't care* whether he sticks around on FF
or not -- I've lost interest in that book for the most part. Better he
should devote all his time to re-energizing Supes -- the old boy needs it.

                        "When are you BUTTHEADS gonna learn that you can't
                         oppose Gestapo tactics WITH Gestapo tactics?"
                                                -Reuben Flagg

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (01/23/86)

> >      Last item:  I heard a rumor (REPEAT RUMOR!!!!) entirely unsubstantiated,
> >that Byrne left the Fantastic Four two weeks ago.  Anybody know if it's
> >not just a rumor?
>
> I've heard the same rumor over and over, and am not putting much faith in
> it.  With Byrne quiting Hulk so that he can do Supes, he is a natural target
> for spontaneous rumors, so I take it with a grain of salt.  What made me
> think was the realization that I *don't care* whether he sticks around on FF
> or not -- I've lost interest in that book for the most part. Better he
> should devote all his time to re-energizing Supes -- the old boy needs it.

	As you no doubt know by now, the latest issue of CBG proclaims that
Byrne has indeed left Marvel. No explanation for the move has been given
by Byrne (although reading between the lines on one of the responses to
a letter in the same issue indicates that both O'Neal and Byrne may have
been unhappy with the way they were being treated at Marvel). Byrne is
working on a proposal for an adaptation of a science fiction book for
Warp (title not given), in addition to his much publicized efforts for Superman.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric