[net.comics] latest NM

dls@mtgzz.UUCP (d.l.skran) (01/15/86)

Check out the latest New Mutants.

This is the first time I can say
I enjoyed NM much more than the same
month's Xmen. I think the Xmen is definitely
suffering as Chris spreads his talent over
more projects.

A little while back someone attacked
the NM joining the Hellions and having Mags fight
the Avengers as stupid.

In the context of the story Chris is telling,
this sequence of events makes perfect sense.
It illustrates his great strength - He takes
the premise seriously.

Dale

laurie@isieng.UUCP (Laurie Sefton) (01/17/86)

I agree--after the threat of a *really* silly plot, this seems to be shaping up
to be something worthwhile.

On a tangent, I have come to the realization that I like the characterization
of Magneto *much* better than any of the other denizens of the Marvel Universe;
and exceptionally more than the "original" X-Men (who are now acting as an
analog to syrup of ipecac in their current comic).

Magneto has come from being one of the typical Kirby-esque villians, to someone
who has much more depth than some *real* people I know.  He has motives
behind his actions (and sympathetic motives), and has run the whole gamut of
emotions. Check out the latest copy of NM for some quick shifts--then check
out X-Factor (notice a difference?).  He's no longer a one-note player--
and that's what makes a successful characterization.

How does the rest of the net feel on this?

Laurie Sefton

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (01/20/86)

I never thought I'd say this, but unless X-Men pulls out of this post-Secret
Wars slump, I may find myself enjoying (gasp) New Mutants more than X-Men.
I should point out that, while I think NM is much better, neither of these
titles would be in my top ten (or even 20).  In other words, good, but Chris
has a long way to go...

                        "Tourists -- have some fun with New york's
                         hard-boiled cabbies.  When you get to your
                         destination, say to your driver, "Pay?  I was
                         hitchiking."
                                                -- David Letterman

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (01/21/86)

> A little while back someone attacked
> the NM joining the Hellions and having Mags fight
> the Avengers as stupid.
> [Dale]

Anyone remember one of the *early* NM, when the team got left behind at
Mass Academy and Magick teleported back (wrong time, however) to find
them (the NM) in Hellion outfits?

I am looking for comments on how this could tie into what will happen to
them there.  (current time-line)

Also, the question (way back then) was whether what happened (in the future)
was unchangable. They later decided that the time-event-line was changable.
Maybe not, ...

						Gryphon

cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP (01/21/86)

I agree with Laurie Sefton that Magneto is characterized very
well; I think he's one of the best characters at Marvel. I like
Claremont's interpretation of him much better than Byrne's,
although I like Byrne's ideas for Kitty Pryde better.  My only
regret is that now that Magneto's on the X-Men's side, they no
longer have an arch-nemesis worthy of them.

I do hope Empath gets what's coming to him.  And I hope Claremont
isn't going to pull the stale cliche "if you kill him you're no
better than he is" riff.  What would be great is to have some New
Mutant say that, and have Magneto reply "I never claimed to be
any better." and pull him apart.  More likely, Magneto could turn
the tables on Empath using Magneto's mind control, which we last
saw in X-Men 110 used on Mesmero.  Make him unable to use his
empathic powers on anyone but himself, perhaps.  But after what
he did, I think the only proper penalty is death.

While we're talking about the New Mutants, is there anyone else
who'd like to see Doug Ramsey, Kitty Pryde, and Sharon Smith
(Catseye) set up a corporation and become billionaires by the
time they're old enough to vote, then buy out Shaw Industries?
With their brains, they should be able to do it.  Besides, it
would be fun to see the three of them match wits with Tessa.

		--Carl Rigney
USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!cdrigney

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (01/23/86)

> From:	ulowell!dobro	(Gryphon)

> Anyone remember one of the *early* NM, when the team got left behind at
> Mass Academy and Magick teleported back (wrong time, however) to find
> them (the NM) in Hellion outfits?
>
> I am looking for comments on how this could tie into what will happen to
> them there.  (current time-line)

Well, in the latest issue (which has a wonderful Arthur Adams cover that
unfortunately was inked by Sienkiewicz), Dani certainly remembered that
brief visit to the then-future (remember, she was with Illyana at the
time). Presumably, the current storyline is what caused Illyana and Dani
to see that scene.

> Also, the question (way back then) was whether what happened (in the future)
> was unchangable. They later decided that the time-event-line was changable.
> Maybe not, ...

Obviously, they thought that that future was a result of their first
"student-ship" at the Mass Academy. They had no idea that they'd be back
there somewhen down the line.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM