[net.comics] Harvey/Gold Key Comics

jbtubman@watdragon.UUCP (Jim Tubman) (01/20/86)

After not doing so for about 5 years, I resumed reading comics in the
last year or so.  My tastes run to the super-hero genre, so I didn't
notice this until quite recently: I don't see any Harvey comics
(Richie Rich, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Sad Sack, etc.) or Gold Key
comics (the Disney line) anywhere.  Not at comics stores, nor at the
drugstore in my home town (which used to carry them).  Have these
companies gone under, been bought out, lost Canadian distribution, or
what?

					Jim Tubman
					University of Waterloo

	"If you took all of the grains of sand in the world,
	and lined them up end to end in a row, you'd be working
	for the government!"
					-- Mr. Interesting

slrichte@uok.UUCP (01/22/86)

/* Written  4:51 pm  Jan 19, 1986 by jbtubman@watdragon.UUCP in uok.UUCP:net.comics */
>                              ...I don't see any Harvey comics
>(Richie Rich, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Sad Sack, etc.) or Gold Key
>comics (the Disney line) anywhere.

>                                       Jim Tubman

 I was unable to reach you by mail, so I'm posting this for your infor-
 mation as well as the chance that others may be interested in the titles
 mentioned.

 Harvey Comics ceased publication some time ago (at least 12 months).
 They have plans to return to the stands with Richie, Caspar, Wendy, etc.
 sometime soon.  They were running ads in CBG several months ago which
 indicated their titles were back in production.

 Gold Key has also been gone for at least a year.  The Disney titles will now
 be published by Gladstone, a division of Another Rainbow, who publishes
 the Carl Barks Library.  (Barks is the creator of Uncle Scrooge and the
 best of the Disney Duck writers and artists.)  The new titles will feature
 a mix of Barks material and stories which were produced in other
 countries.  (The Disney characters, particularly the Ducks, are very
 popular in Europe.)  The Gladsone titles (Donald, Mickey, Uncle Scrooge,
 etc.) are expected this summer.

 The Warner Brothers characters (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.) are apparently
 in comic book limbo.  Why someone hasn't picked these characters up is unknown.

 The Charleton titles were suspended and recently revived, but have now
 been permanently banished from the racks.  Nobody's mourning them.

                                     --Steve Richter

USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!uok!slrichte

USMAIL:         S. Richter c/o Southside, 754 Asp, Norman, OK 73069

"I used to go to the drugstores or wherever there was a newsstand, and
if I had a little time on my hands, I would stand around pretending I
was looking at 'Popular Mechanics' or something and watch the kids.  At
that time, kids would always come in where there was a big stack of
comic books and just sit down on one stack and pick up comics out of the
next stack and read them or look at them.  And I always hoped that I
would see some kid buy a 'Walt Disney's Comics and Stories' or an 'Uncle
Scrooge'.  I never did."

				--Carl Barks, creator of Uncle Scrooge
                                and best of the Disney comic bood artists

peterson@milano.UUCP (01/24/86)

In article <228@watdragon.UUCP>, jbtubman@watdragon.UUCP writes:

> I don't see any Harvey comics
> (Richie Rich, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Sad Sack, etc.) or Gold Key
> comics (the Disney line) anywhere.

Gold Key is apparently gone.  But the Disney reprints may live on.
There is a company in Scottsdale, Arizona that has been reprinting
the Carl Barks comics (The Carl Barks Library - 10 volumes each of
three hard-bound books, each volume about $100).  The company is
Another Rainbow.

Now I notice there is another company from Scottsdale (Gladstone)
which has published two old Disney's: Uncle Scrooge goes to Disneyland
and Disneyland Birthday Party.  The back inside cover of these
shows a whole bunch of Disney comic covers with the Gladstone
logo and "Coming in 1986 From Gladstone at your favorite
newsstand or comic book shop".

I don't care much for most of the super-hero comics, but prefer to
try to get the old comic strips (like Mandrake, Steve Canyon,
Disney comics, Maggie and Jiggs, Dagwood, -- also the newer ones
like Cathy, Tank McNamera, Doonesbury, Dupie, and so on.
--
James Peterson
peterson@mcc.arpa  or  ...sally!im4u!milano!peterson