[net.comics] Darkover's Sharra <=> X-men's Phoenix?

interran@Shasta.ARPA (01/22/86)

Some of you may have noticed that there's a remarkable resemblance
between Sharra (of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series) and
Dark Phoenix. It isn't just Phoenix and Sharra, too. Darkover esps
(those with laran) almost always had red hair, and Jean Grey/Marvel
Girl originally was an esp with red hair, too.

Anyone think this is just coincidence? Sharra originally appearred
in Sword of Aldones, which certainly predates Phoenix since it was
published in 1962. Maybe Sword of Aldones even predates the entire
X-men (Marvel Girl) series.

No followups to net.sf-lovers, please - they get too many news already.

ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) (01/24/86)

In article <1668@Shasta.ARPA> interran@Shasta.UUCP (John Interrante) writes:
>Some of you may have noticed that there's a remarkable resemblance
>between Sharra (of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series) and
>Dark Phoenix. It isn't just Phoenix and Sharra, too. Darkover esps
>(those with laran) almost always had red hair, and Jean Grey/Marvel
>Girl originally was an esp with red hair, too.

	    By an odd maybe-coincidence, one of Lilandra's favorite
	oaths, which she had occasion to use during the whole Phoenix
	business, was "Sharra and K'ythri preserve us!".  Can anyone
	shed more light on this?
						--pH
/*
 *	    "I'm dead.  I'm dead!  Maybe in a day--or a week--or an HOUR
 *	. . ."
 */