[net.comics] Who is Sensor Girl?

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (01/25/86)

> From:	watdcsu!broehl

> Any guesses as to who she is?  My vote goes to Queen Projectra.
> (virtually all of her powers can be explained by illusion-casting, most
> notably the darkness that even the Persuader's axe couldn't cut through;
> also, some sort of cross-dimensional travel would explain how she gets
> around.  As for her fighting prowess... perhaps she learned a few martial
> arts moves from Karate Kid).

The following is something that was posted in a notesfile here at DEC.
Reprinted *with* permission.

***************************** Begin Quoted Letter *****************************

Below is a mildly edited version of the letter I FINALLY got around to writing
to Karen Berger aabout Sensor Girl.  It is cosigned by a friend as we can't
remember who first thought of the idea.  Probably him, since I wasn't reading
Legion at the time and was only vaguely aware of the Sensor Girl issue from
reading this notes file.  Note that some of what is said here is backed up by
revelations under the Amethyst and Legion headings in the 1986 Amazing Heroes
Preview Special (from which I will be quoting in various notes all week, when
I have the time to enter information into this file.  I recommend that people
buy ths issue, though, as it has more news than ever before.  DC is finally
releasing information now that CRISIS is over with, so the indies are no
longer the only source of interesting and exciting information in the Preview).

Dear Ms. Berger:

   Approximately four months ago, the two of us decided that Amethyst was
a good candidate for the role of Sensor Girl in the Legion of Super Heroes.
The issue of Amethyst guest-starring Dr. Fate convinced us that she was the
most probable candidate, as she goes blind (Sensor Girl wears a mask that
would block her peripheral vision and perhaps all vision; the slits appear
to be present solely for the purpose of allowing her to unleash her powers
through them in a focused beam) and gains new (undefined) powers (Sensor
Girl's powers are undefined, currently, as well).

   The clincher was Legion #21.  We could no longer hold off writing in after
that issue, as there was no longer any doubt left in our minds and as we
realised that no one had yet guessed Amethyst as the identity.  Previously,
everyone we had bounced the idea off of told us we were nuts and that it
MUST be either Supergirl or Power Girl.  Leion #21 made it clear that it
ISN'T either of those characters.  Braniac 5, however, PARTIALLY recognises
Sensor Girl (he would FULLY recognise her if she was Supergirl) because she
is either a former Legionaire or RELATED to one.  Well, due to her personality,
height and circumstances of leaving, Princess Projectra briefly came to mind
as a possibility.  After all, the transfer of her planet, Orando, to another
dimension could have side-effects (such as altering her powers) and could
precipitate her rejoining the Legion.  It probably wouldn't cause her to
adopt a less humble wardrobe and to die her hair blonde, however.

   No, it MUST be Amethyst!  The globe is used to communicate with the Gemworld
while she's away, and the mask is mimmickry of Dr. Fate's visor.  To top things
off, Amy becomes Amethyst while ASLEEP.  This, combined with Sensor Girl's
apparant prophetic powers (only one of her several powers), leads me to believe
that she is somehow related to Dream Girl!  Hence, Braniac 5's sense of DEJA
VU when he meets her!  Since Dream Girl is from Sorcerer's World, we are
speculating that Gemworld somehow gets exchanged with Orando when the latter
planet successfully transfers to another dimension, and becomes Sorcerer's
World.  It probably doesn't matter what era this occurs in, since other
dimensions apparantly are not on the same timeline as ours anyway.  Thus,
in spite of the thousand years separating Amy from Dream Girl, it is even
possible that Amethyst could even be Dream Girl's grandmother!

[Non-Sensor Girl related material deleted here. --- jmb]

			Mark H. Schmieder & David Ryan

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM