[net.comics] X-Men and Ruritania

soren@reed.UUCP (Soren Petersen) (02/08/86)

In article <145@gsg.UUCP> kathy@gsg.UUCP (Kathryn Smith) writes:
>For those who don't get the reference, Ruritania
>is a ficticious central European country created by Anthony Hope in The Prisoner
>of Zenda.  I haven't read the original myself, but judging by the Classics
>Illustrated version which I read years ago, it's pulp melodrama, narrated by an
>English Gentleman, and probably pretty heavy going.

I have read *The Prisoner of Zenda*, and I enjoyed it immensely.  Yes it is
pretty much 'pulp meladrama' but I didn't find it heavy going at all.  It has
been very much by imitated pulp writers ever since--I remember a Hitchcock
presents--Three investigators book  which was very remeniscent, and for that
matter, Ruritania looks like a direct ancestor of our own Latveria.

			Have a Nice Day
				Soren Petersen