[net.comics] Cerebus and Wordsmith

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (02/12/86)

In article <252@bnrmtv.UUCP> zarifes@bnrmtv.UUCP (Kenneth Zarifes) writes:
>I get nauseous every time I buy an issue of Cerebus these days.  The idea that
>I am supporting such an arrogant pig as Dave makes me sick!
>
>But I keep on buyin 'em!  I'm just a worthless junkie.

I will admit that Dave Sim IS pretty difficult to take at this time -- a
manner which is a cross between chic, cool and nails-against-a-chalkboard --
but I can't argue that Cerebus, while not as pleasing plotwise or
characterwise, is still brilliant in it's art and framing sequences.  A
parallel to Miami Vice, in a way.  I have the same problem with Harlan
Ellison -- when it comes to him personally, politically or in his role as a
critic (The Glass Teat), his arrogance warps and ruins his point-of-view for
me.  However, when it comes to fiction, the man is extremely, extremely
good.  Oh, well, talent can't be "95% acid-free", I'm afraid...

I suspect that Cerebus's readership is not that large these days, and that
Dave's attitude may cost his some in the long run.

>I found WORDSMITH incredibly boring.

Other than Flaming Carrot, I have yet to see ANYTHING come out of Renegade
Press which is worth the spit it took to put it together.

[Oops... another unrelenting opinion!]

                               "If a man chooses to do evil... it becomes my
                                sacred duty to bash him to a pulp"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty