[net.comics] Finding Our Boarding House

rjwouthuis@watnot.UUCP (rj) (02/04/86)

I am looking for any information about an old comic strip entilted
OUR BOARDING HOUSE WITH MAJOR HOOPLE.  I think the strip began in the
mid 1920's and ended sometime in the 1970's.  It may even have been
a radio show at one point.  I think the strip went through many
writers and one of them was George Ahern.  Does anyone know a good
book for research on this subject or have any other information?

                               John Moulton
:

:

:Wg

:wq

neutron@hpfcla.UUCP (02/08/86)

About "Our Boarding House":

From _The Comics_, by Jerry Robinson, p. 229:

       _Our Boarding House_, later to star the bombastic, stuffed-shirt
    Major Hoople, was created by Gene Ahern in 1921 with the _Squirrel Cage_
    as the top.  NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
    originated in the _Squirrel Cage_.  _Our Boarding House_ was continued
    after Ahern's death by Bill Freyse for many years and recently by Les
    Carroll and Tom McCormick.  Ahern, who previously did _Auto Otto_, left
    Newspaper Enterprise Association and created _Room and Board_ for King
    Features in 1934 with Judge Puffle taking on the Major Hoople persona.

Jack Applin
hplabs!hpfcdc!jack

GMS@PSUVM.BITNET (02/12/86)

I used to read "Our boarding House" many years ago in the Pittsburgh
Press.  (In fact I still look up old issues at our library and read
them)  If you are unable to find a book I might suggest using a library with
old newspapers on microfische.  (Egad!)

                                                       *******
 Gerry Santoro                                       ********  *
 Microcomputer Information & Support Center        ***********   *
 Penn State University                           ********   ***    *
 101 Computer Building                         **********   ***      *
 University Park, PA  16802                   ***************         *
 (814) 863-4356                               ************            *
                                              *********               *
 GMS @ PSUVM   (bitnet)                        *******   **          *
 santoro @ penn-state  (csnet)                   *****   **        *
 ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!gms   (uucp)             ****          *
 gms%psuvm.bitnet@wscvm.arpa    (arpa)               ***       *
                                                       *******

chavey@crystal.UUCP (Darrah Chavey) (02/15/86)

In article <29300018@hpfclg.UUCP>, neutron@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
> About "Our Boarding House":
>
> From _The Comics_, by Jerry Robinson, p. 229:
>
>        _Our Boarding House_, later to star the bombastic, stuffed-shirt
>     Major Hoople, was created by Gene Ahern in 1921 ...

According to The Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics (p. 333):
     Our Boarding House, with the braggart Major Hoople, began in 1923 ...
     The strips were the creation of Gene Ahern, born on Chicago's south side
     in 1895. He attended the Chicago Art Institute for three years, hoping
     simply to acquire enough technique to become a funny cartoonist. ...
     Ahern died in 1960.