[net.comics] Berke Breathed of Bloom County injured in plane crash

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (02/10/86)

Not sure if everyone knew it yet or not, but Berke Breathed, writer
and artist of the BLOOM COUNTY comic strip was injured in a plane
crash a week or so ago.  Apparently he suffered a fractured
vertebra between his shoulders, and will be out for a while.  A full
recovery is expected.

Until he returns, the papers carrying BLOOM COUNTY will reprint
strips that were previously published when BLOOM COUNTY had a
much smaller readership.

                               "All this self-sacrifice is *nauseating*!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/12/86)

In article <2674@colossus.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Not sure if everyone knew it yet or not, but Berke Breathed, writer
>and artist of the BLOOM COUNTY comic strip was injured in a plane
>crash a week or so ago.  Apparently he suffered a fractured

He crashed in an ultralight, basically a motorized hang glider. It
was at least three weeks ago, because that is when I read the bit in
the local paper about the Albequerque hospital that is treating him
requesting that people stop sending flowers as they had no more room
to handle them.

He's lucky to be alive, we are lucky he is alive. Hopefully he will
find some less dangerous toys for the future.

Mike

--
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!mike
 ARPA: amdcad!mike@decwrl.dec.com

ma3166ay@unmc.UUCP (L.A. Electronics) (02/13/86)

>>Not sure if everyone knew it yet or not, but Berke Breathed, writer
>>and artist of the BLOOM COUNTY comic strip was injured in a plane
>>crash a week or so ago.  Apparently he suffered a fractured
>
>He crashed in an ultralight, basically a motorized hang glider. It
>was at least three weeks ago, because that is when I read the bit in
>the local paper about the Albequerque hospital that is treating him
>requesting that people stop sending flowers as they had no more room
>to handle them.
>
>He's lucky to be alive, we are lucky he is alive. Hopefully he will
>find some less dangerous toys for the future.

You aren't kidding about him being lucky to be alive.  When the local
smarmy-homeboy-let's-talk-about-how-great-this-city-is magazine, "Albuquerque
Living", did a feature article on Breathed, they revealed that one of his
favorite activities was to take his Ultralight out over the city, late at
night, and shut off the engine.  At least he's not bothering the neighbors.

It was only a matter of time before he flew the damned thing into the ground.
Can you say "death wish", boys and girls?

At any rate . . . there is apparently some problem with blood clots in the
lungs (not serious) so his hospital stay has been extended somewhat.  He
should now be out in about a week or so.

.rne.   (E. Longmire)

---
"Read the header!"
---

schuster@Shasta.ARPA (Jay Schuster) (02/19/86)

In article <17@unmc.UUCP> ma3166ay@unmc.UUCP (L.A. Electronics) writes:
>>>Not sure if everyone knew it yet or not, but Berke Breathed, writer
>>>and artist of the BLOOM COUNTY comic strip was injured in a plane
>>>crash a week or so ago.  Apparently he suffered a fractured...
>>
>>He's lucky to be alive, we are lucky he is alive. Hopefully he will
>>find some less dangerous toys for the future.
>
>You aren't kidding about him being lucky to be alive.  When the local
>smarmy-homeboy-let's-talk-about-how-great-this-city-is magazine, "Albuquerque
>Living", did a feature article on Breathed, they revealed that one of his
>favorite activities was to take his Ultralight out over the city, late at
>night, and shut off the engine.  At least he's not bothering the neighbors.

One of my housemates went to school with him (His real first name is
Guy, and his last name is pronounced with two syllables) and said that
he liked to raise alligators and release them in a lake at the school
(Some Texas U).

It's not hard to see where some of his humor comes from.

-- Jay Schuster ...!decwrl!shasta!schuster schuster@su-pescadero.arpa