[net.comics] Role Playing Games

sds5044@ritcv.UUCP (02/07/86)

Anybody out there interested in the Marvel Super Heroes game or the
DC Heroes game?

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (02/11/86)

In article <9319@ritcv.UUCP> sds5044@ritcv.UUCP () writes:
>Anybody out there interested in the Marvel Super Heroes game or the
>DC Heroes game?

Quickie reviews if anyone is interested:

Marvel Super Heroes is generally bad.  There is no consistent system
underlying the game.  Every time they write up a new character, they
have to add codicils to the rules, make up new powers, etc.  There is
no good way to make a character of your own.

DC Heroes is much better.  It has a logical underlying system that
generally gives an accurate picture of the superhero genre.  More
important for comic buffs, it gives quantitative measures of various
characters' abilities: how fast is Flash, how strong is Superman in
comparison to Darkseid, etc.  Some of this stuff has been made obsolete
by the Crisis, but it's still interesting.  And the game is playable.
There are some interesting solo modules out, many of which capture
the spirit of DC comics.

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (02/19/86)

>>Anybody out there interested in the Marvel Super Heroes game or the
>>DC Heroes game?

One onther game to consider: Champions.

It is an excellent system.
It givesd you basic power, advantages, limitations, and other modifiers,
and lets you define specific abilites with your choice of special affects.

Look into it.

Another SHRPG (SuperHero Role Playing Game) is: Villians and Vigilantees
Though this is no where as good as Champions.

Further discussion can be carried out on net.games.rpg

						Gryphon

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (02/23/86)

In article <206@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:
>>>Anybody out there interested in the Marvel Super Heroes game or the
>>>DC Heroes game?
>>

>One onther game to consider: Champions.
>
>Another SHRPG (SuperHero Role Playing Game) is: Villians and Vigilantees

>						Gryphon

There is also "Champions"'s sister game, called something like "Golden
Age of Champions", which deals with the less ultra-high-powered heroes
of the '40's.  I am uncertain whether Hero Games has released it yet,
but my fiance played-tested it at a north-eastern US sf-con a while ago.
The illustrations are by the fan-artist, Chris Cloutier.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."