[net.comics] Daredevil

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (02/20/86)

> Tina Todd
> Hello, all!  This is but the second time I've posted, so bear with me.
> First, I agree with what seems to me to be the general concensus about
> the new Daredevil.  Classic!  Pity all comics weren't like that.  That
> last page, with Matt and Karen...Like I said, classic.

Last night in a fit of insanity I re-read DDs 227, 228, 229,
230, and 231 in rapid succession.  The blur of imagery kept me
awake for quite a while longer.  I think this easily outranks
even the "Phoenix" series in X-Men (which I feel is a
"classic").  Reading them one issue at a time over the past
months I got the feeling that they were too dark, too
graphically violent (I HATE the panel where Kingpin's fist comes
down on Matt's vision, and where the nurse chokes Nick to death
with Urich on the phone listening to the sounds).  Reading them
in series I am overwhelmed by the progression of events and the
radical restructuring of Matt Murdock's life and the lives of
those around him.  Frank Miller is doing unbelievable things for
the comics genre right before my very eyes. I am really looking
forward to the Dark Knight series.

But does anyone have any idea where this series is going??
Miller makes me feel like I'm falling off a cliff sometimes.
Here we've got the return of Karen Page, who may or may not
become DD's new/old love interest (I'm anticipating Elektra,
shortly); Matt's mother has jumped into the picture; he's still
got all these financial and professional woes the Kingpin has
dumped on him; Foggy's moving up in the world, with Glori no
less.  Matt's gone through an amazing amount of women in the
last oh, thirty issues (I really miss Natasha.  She suited him
well) and an amazing amount of catastrophe.  I don't have any
idea what's going to happen next and I CAN'T STAND IT MUCH
LONGER!!

Arrrrrggggghhhhhh.  Moriarty should write a Stupid People's
Court for zombies like me.  I'm not a Marvel zombie; I'm a
cliffhanger zombie, perpetually dangling by my fingernails on
the sheer face of a weekly pulp fix.

Ellen

--
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
	"Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?"

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (02/23/86)

In article <2537@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:
>Last night in a fit of insanity I re-read DDs 227, 228, 229,
>230, and 231 in rapid succession.  The blur of imagery kept me
>awake for quite a while longer.  I think this easily outranks
>even the "Phoenix" series in X-Men (which I feel is a
>"classic").

Agreed on both points.  This is much better than Miller's earlier work on
DD, too -- I feel that he lost his focus in the later DD comics he did.

>Reading them one issue at a time over the past
>months I got the feeling that they were too dark, too
>graphically violent (I HATE the panel where Kingpin's fist comes
>down on Matt's vision, and where the nurse chokes Nick to death
>with Urich on the phone listening to the sounds).

Funny -- I had the same reaction to the nurse jumping the cop in #231, when
Urich finds his wife being choked in the bathroom.  When Matt shows up, I
was really in the mood to see him, ahem, "waste 'er ass".

>But does anyone have any idea where this series is going??

Only that Miller seems to be exploring a breakdown -- and possible
dispensation -- of a dual identity.  Matt was really going nuts before the
destruction of his penthouse, trying to reconcile his two lives.  The "Born
Again" premise of this series, and the important fact that Matt is NOT
wearing the DD suit, makes me wonder if Matt has gotten over the schizoid
aspects of his dual nature, and is fighting the Kingpin as Matt Murdock --
which is, after all, who he is.

>Arrrrrggggghhhhhh.  Moriarty should write a Stupid People's
>Court for zombies like me.  I'm not a Marvel zombie; I'm a
>cliffhanger zombie, perpetually dangling by my fingernails on
>the sheer face of a weekly pulp fix.

If I did, I'd have to be sitting in the defendant's box with you (as would
most of net.comics, I'll bet...)

                        "But in calling Moriarty a criminal you are
                         uttering libel in the eyes of the law, and
                         there lies the glory and the wonder of it.
                         The greatest schemer of all time, the
                         organizer of every devilry, the controlling
                         brain of the underworld.... That's the man."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty