[net.comics] DC Updates

slrichte@uok.UUCP (02/08/86)

   "Is...THIS...the work of a madman?" -- Necross HA HAHA the Mad

 Now that direct-only comics are running 28 pages with no ads, some
 readers have expressed concern about back-ups not being reprinted
 when the direct-only "hardcover" is published for newsstand distri-
 bution.  The entire comic will be reprinted when the newsstand is-
 sue is published.  For instance, the full story text (including
 back-up) of THE OUTSIDERS #1 will appear one year later in ADVEN-
 TURES OF THE OUTSIDERS #39.  This applies also to THE NEW TEEN
 TITANS, and TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS; and THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES
 and TALES OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.

 Beginning with issue #6, the format of SECRET ORIGINS will change.
 The book will inclue a minimum of two character origins per issue,
 one Silver or Modern Age and the other Golden Age.  The first double-
 header issue features Halo by Mike W. Barr, illustrated by Dick
 Giordano; and the original Batman, by Roy Thomas and illustrated by
 Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin.

 TEEN TITANS SPOTLIGHT is scheduled to debut in May of this year.  In
 the series, written by Marv Wolfman and illustrated by various artists,
 one Teen Titans character will be spotlighted in each story.  Stories
 will run from one to several monthly issues.

 Senior Editor Julius Schwartz has been nominated to receive the First
 Fandom Hall of Fame Award for 1986.  The election will be held at the
 45th World Science Fiction Convention at the end of August in Atlanta,
 Georgia.  First Fandom is composed of professionals and fans who were
 involved in science fiction prior to World War II.  Among the celeb-
 rities on First Fandom's roster are:  Isaac Asimov, Robert Bloch, Ray
 Bradbury, and Frederik Pohl.

                                     --Steve Richter

USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!uok!slrichte

USMAIL:         S. Richter c/o Southside, 754 Asp, Norman, OK 73069

"We all know the ONLY way to create CHARACTER...DON'T we?"
"*conflic*"
"Say again?"
"conflict?"
"Bingo."
*PUNCH*

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (02/25/86)

> From: uok!slrichte	(Steve Richter)

> Now that direct-only comics are running 28 pages with no ads, some
> readers have expressed concern about back-ups not being reprinted
> when the direct-only "hardcover" is published for newsstand distri-
> bution.  The entire comic will be reprinted when the newsstand is-
> sue is published.

I don't know why anyone is getting concerned.

(1) The backup stories only existed the first couple of months after the
story-page count went up. The reason for them was because when the decision
was made to go to 28-page stories, they didn't leave enough time for the
regular team to fill the extra pages, so they included a short back-up
story to make up the page count. Now, the main story runs the entire issue
(except the occasional issue). It would be a tad difficult to cut stuff
out for the reprints (not impossible, mind you --- Marvel has done it in
some of their reprint comics --- but difficult).

(2) People are forgetting that the overhead for a reprint book is not as
high as a regular comic, since they don't have to pay the writer and artists
for the work (except a token royalty fee). Thus, they can get along fairly
easily with a lesser ad revenue. And the 32 pages count does not include the
covers, so assuming one page for letters and 28 pages for story, there'll
be 3 ad pages available. Chances are they will be for paid ads rather than
house ads (and also remember that there will be the two inside covers plus
the back cover for ads as well.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM