[net.comics] Bat news, both good and bad.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (02/22/86)

I thought I was going to be free...

Here I was, buying the last year's worth of BATMAN & THE OUTSIDERS (now
ADVENTURES OF THE OUTSIDERS) just for the Alan Davis artwork, but not
liking it (the book, not the artwork) at all, mostly because I dislike
Mike Barr's handling of the Batman (not to mention the arrogance and
sense of self-importance that he seems to display on the letters pages).
And since I really haven't developed a liking for any of the other members,
I was looking forward to giving up the comic went it started reprinting
the stories from the Baxter title.

Unfortunately, however, I've seen that Mike Barr and Alan Davis will be
taking over DETECTIVE COMICS, once Denny O'Neil gets editorship of it
and BATMAN from Len Wein. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli will be doing some-
thing like 8 issues of BATMAN, supposedly followed by a "regular" team of
Englehart and Rogers. I have my doubts about Rogers, considering his dead-
line problems. This doubt was somewhat confirmed when I talked a bit with
Julie Schwartz at Boskone (Boston's sf con). He told me that Rogers was
late on the graphic novel adaptation of Ellison's OUTER LIMITS teleplay,
"Demon with a Glass Hand", and that it had to be taken off the schedule (it
was supposed to be next, after THE MERCHANTS OF VENUS) until Rogers finished
it. Julie mentioned that O'Neil asked him how Rogers was on deadlines. When
Julie told him about the graphic novel, O'Neil just sort of sighed and said
something like, "I was afraid of that".

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (02/26/86)

In article <1295@decwrl.DEC.COM> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>On the other hand, Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli will be doing some-
>thing like 8 issues of BATMAN, supposedly followed by a "regular" team of
>Englehart and Rogers.

[Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-Hooooooooooooooooo!]

I can't imagine much better news: more Miller/Mazzucchelli (are these two
becoming a "team" writer/artist group?  I'm glad to hear it, as they
compliment one another quite well).  And then, Englehart and Rogers --
together again!  Maybe Silver St. Cloud back, etc., etc.  Hearty cheers
from the peanut gallery...

>I have my doubts about Rogers, considering his dead-
>line problems.

Good point, though; Rogers really seems to only work well on bi-monthly
stuff.  It makes me nervous; but then, the chance for great excellence...

PS As a favor, Jerry, could you list the Moench/Gulacy issue of BATMAN (or
was it DETECTIVE?)?  I would appreciate it (gonna buy me some back
issues...).

PPS Between this, the Shadow, the Dark Knight series, Byrne's Superman,
etc., DC really has it over Marvel for me lately.  Though Power Pack, Doctor
Strange and Thor (and some others I've forgotten) continue to entertain
regularly, the projects which generate excitement don't seem to be coming
out of Marvel; the independents and DC seem to be attracting the good people.

        "It's a job for YOU, Dangermouse..."
                                                "Oh, *good* old DM!"
        "...AND Penfold."
                                                "Oh, ick."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty