[net.comics] cats in comics

jeffj@sfmin.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) (02/01/86)

[purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!]

	I love cats dearly and it warms my heart to see them portrayed
well in comics, with such attributes as dexterity, strength,
nobility and sensuousness.  It is this craving that brought
my attention to these titles, which I haven't seen mentioned on the net.

Albedo Anthropomorphics
	I have only #5.  The story I see is that there is a conflict
	between the gov't and many of the people, with radicals and
	protests a-la 60's.  The main character is a smart cat-woman
	who is diplomat by day, but cool and cunning enough to
	tactfully use military force when needed.  Other than a lion
	commander, every character is a different animal.  At a dinner party,
	an otter officer goes puppy over her, but she admits
	"he is sort of cute, in an otter sort of way"

Dreadstar (Marvel)  (okay, this one has been briefly mentioned on the net)
	In the graphic novel we meet a whole planet
	of gentle cat-people who are farmers. They are the result of a
	genetic project that tried to mix people and cats to produce
	great warriors, but failed.  All but one, Oedi, are killed.
	Oedi turns out to be a great fighter, although I like him
	since he is capable of being kind, quite unlike Larry Niven's
	kzinti.  At the current point of the story, Oedi is presumed dead.
	I hope that Dreadstar's moving to First comics will give
	the cat another life (he's entitled to 8 more).

Kazar (Marvel)	I know this is no longer published,
	but I am including it for completeness.
	It is like the Jungle Book (Mowgli => Steven Plunder aka Kazar,
	Bagheera the black panther => Zabu the Saber Tooth Tiger).
	A warm story of a boy and his large ferocious cat
	who adopted him at birth (who needs wolves?).

Omaha (Steeldragon Press)
	I was too young to read Fritz The Cat the first time around,
	but I saw the movie (and have the soundtrack).
		"Fritz the cat is basically a phoney, and the fact
		that he is a cat is arbitrary.  He is quite human,
		in fact more human than many of the people Crumb
		was to draw later in his career.  He is a con-man,
		a sex maniac, and totally incorrigible"
			- Joe Brancatelli, The World Encyclopedia of Comics

	Omaha is similar, with the cats having a lot of sex and getting into
	strange situations.  The intro to #1 tells of Omaha, the stage name of
	a beautiful exotic dancer.  She had a honest job as a club dancer,
	but the dishonest owners get everybody in trouble.  Porn, prostitution,
	hit-men are the key ingredients so far.  She seems to be an ok person
	who gets along with her lover Chuck (a cat-man).  Very little plot,
	very many sex scenes.

The Omega Men (DC) #32
	In this issue, I see a planet/civilization of cat-men, men, and
	ordinary cats (quite a mix).  This is the first time I ever saw
	a cat strip-tease ("If you want a fur show, go down the street!").
	Felicity, a cat-woman, takes jobs as a dancer in clubs and
	winds up sharing an apartment with a murderer.
	Is this the only issue with cats?

The West Coast Avengers (Marvel). #6
	Tigra is a cat-woman superhero-type. During a mystic science chant,
	the West Coast Avengers summon Balkatar, brother to the Jungle Cat,
	who takes Tigra home to meet the family -- sort of.  They pop into
	"The Land Within" which is a city of cat-men.  We see
	fierce guards and warriors, a king and others in the background.
	Their race was from a mixing of men and cats (like Dreadstar).
	Tigra and the Balkatar get along real fine...but other conflicts
	arise leading to lots of fighting scenes (well, it's only a comic
	book).  I don't see any other issues dealing with Tigra, only a
	frame or two in subsequent issues to show she's still in The Land
	Within having a grand time.

Star Trek (DC) #25
	It's the April edition, where Uhura says "there's no one here to take
	your call right now, but if you leave your name and frequency when
	you hear the tone...".  After surrendering the Excelsior to the
	Ajir, it's also surrendered to the Grond, who are just plain cats.
	Even toting machine guns doesn't make them fierce.  And they
	know it.  A fun episode featuring the following dialogue:
		"Captain Kirk?"
		"Admiral, actually"
		"and this is the Enterprise?"
		"sorry, the Excelsior"
		"We're a little behind in the news.  All right,
		 surrender your ship"

-------
Jeff 'aye captain' Skot
{ihnp4 | allegra | decvax ...} attunix ! jeffj

oh yes, did I mention that I *hate*
	Smurfs
	Rainbow Brite
	Care Bears
	Strawberry Shortcake
	He-Man
	She-Ra
	Get Along Gang (well, I like Zipper the cat)
	Transformers and all other Japanese robot spinoffs.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (02/11/86)

> From:	sfmin!jeffj	(Jeff Skot)

> 	I love cats dearly and it warms my heart to see them portrayed
> well in comics, with such attributes as dexterity, strength,
> nobility and sensuousness.  It is this craving that brought
> my attention to these titles, which I haven't seen mentioned on the net.

> Albedo Anthropomorphics
>	I have only #5.  The story I see is that there is a conflict
>	between the gov't and many of the people, with radicals and
>	protests a-la 60's.  The main character is a smart cat-woman
>	who is diplomat by day, but cool and cunning enough to
>	tactfully use military force when needed.  Other than a lion
>	commander, every character is a different animal.  At a dinner party,
>	an otter officer goes puppy over her, but she admits
>	"he is sort of cute, in an otter sort of way"

Are you perhaps talking about Steve Gallacci's "Erma Felna" series (I have
the first four issues of the comic, but not the fifth)? I never had the
impression that she was a cat, but a vixen. By the way, I did review the
first couple of issues of this title here back when they came out.

> Omaha (Steeldragon Press)
>	Omaha is similar, with the cats having a lot of sex and getting into
>	strange situations.  The intro to #1 tells of Omaha, the stage name of
>	a beautiful exotic dancer.  She had a honest job as a club dancer,
>	but the dishonest owners get everybody in trouble.  Porn, prostitution,
>	hit-men are the key ingredients so far.  She seems to be an ok person
>	who gets along with her lover Chuck (a cat-man).  Very little plot,
>	very many sex scenes.

I reviewed this one, too, though guardedly, as creator Reed Waller is a friend
of mine, and I didn't want to be biased. I disagree that there is "little plot"
to this book. If you want to be a completist, there were three previous Omaha
stories: the whole of BIZARRE SEX #9, a short in BIZARRE SEX #10, and a short
in DOPE COMIX #5.

As for other comics with cats, there's

AMERICAN FLAGG! --- How can you forget this one? How many cats get to be
	mayor of Chicago?
DYNAMO JOE --- One character is Pomru, a cat-like being who talks in a very
	corrupted form of English. The series has so far run in the last
	three issues of MARS, all of FIRST ADVENTURES, and a 3-issue mini-
	series, the first issue of which is out right now.
SWORDS OF THE SWASHBUCKLERS --- The character Domino Drake has a pet cat
	named Cap'n Kidd, who in a couple of issues gained human-level
	intelligence and could walk erect.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (02/14/86)

["We ought to be able to get a fur hat and 3 or 4 tacos out of it."]

> 	I love cats dearly and it warms my heart to see them portrayed
> well in comics, with such attributes as dexterity, strength,
> nobility and sensuousness.  It is this craving that brought
> my attention to these titles, which I haven't seen mentioned on the net.

You omitted Eclipse's "Kitz 'n' Katz," a fresh version of Herriman's work.

And what about Fat Freddy's Cat?

	"The Surgeon General of Australia reminds you that canned
	 wombat is every bit as nutritious as fresh."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

chavey@crystal.UUCP (Darrah Chavey) (02/15/86)

The recent discussion of cats in comics seems to have forgotten Dreadstar.
Here we have an entire race of cat people (well, at least we had them
once).  How about Kitz 'n Katz Komics?  Then again there's
always the old 4 issue run of "Cat".  (I'll try to avoid mentioning
"Thundercats" or "Pussycat").

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (02/27/86)

> The recent discussion of cats in comics seems to have forgotten Dreadstar.

I got into this one late... has anybody mentioned Steve Gallaci's "Albedo" yet?
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076