[net.comics] An OZian view..actually Claymation

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/01/86)

In article <938@rlgvax.UUCP> oz@rlgvax.UUCP writes:
>But what of the animation you say?  I can't think of the words that I need
>to  get  you  to leap up from your terminals and run to see if there is a
>showing of this film right now.
>
>When Steve Knight first raved about how incredible the facial  expressions
>were,  I  thought that he was exaggerating.  After all Disney, and Warner
>Bros were able to convey many emotions in the faces of their characters.  I
>owe Mr. Knight an apology and am glad to do it here publicly, I have never
>been able to read what a animated character is thinking as well as I could
>in  this  film.  In Adam and Eve you watch Adam go from total enjoyment in
>his paradise, to confusion in the arrival of  Eve,  to  caring  when  he
>discovers  that he loves her, and finally to sorrow when he is left alone.
>All of these emotions were shown SUBTLY in his face.  It  was  incredible.
>The  sorrow  on Mr. Twains face when he speaks of his late wife makes you
>want to put your arm around his  shoulder  and  comfort  him.   Animated
>characters  have made me laugh, cry and shrink back in my seat before, but
>this is the first time that they made me feel empathic.
>					OZ
>				seismo!rlgvax!oz

In those dim, dark years of high school so long ago (actually, circa '79-82)
we maintained a film club in which the 6 of us would gather in the library and
run through films.  And the film we watched the most, more often than The
Battleship Potemkin (4 times), more often than Hardware Wars (6 times), more
often even than the collected works of Mike Jittlov (uncountably many times),
we watched the first non-trivial Claymation film, a documentary about how
the process was painstakingly executed.  Naturally, it inspired us to spend
many afternoons unsuccessfully constructing armatures, formless blobs, and
outlandishly weird sets.  And, of course, we spent a lot on clay.

Just a reminder that such a documentary exists, from the late seventies.
Although I haven't seen the Adventures of Mark Twain yet, what few clips I have
seen indicate that while the process was just as developed those years ago,
they DO seem to have improved a tiny bit on keeping fingerprints off the clay...

:-)
-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (03/04/86)

>But what of the animation you say?  I can't think of the words that I need
>to  get  you  to leap up from your terminals and run to see if there is a
>showing of this film right now.
*****

I haven't seen The Adventures of Mark Twain, so I can't say one way or
another what the animation looks like.  But in general, I am simply
not impressed with Claymation.  I've seen it in various Christmas
specials, the Miracle of Claymation special (3 shorts, The Little
Prince, Rip Van Winkle, and one I can't remember) and the Claymation
sequences in Return to Oz.  Nowhere did I see an example of animation
with clay that in my opinion couldn't be done better in a different
medium.  I think it's partly the unnatural movement of start-stop
photography (see footnote) and partly the liberties the artists take
with the medium.  (The Rip Van Winkle dream sequences, for instance.)
That is:  'Special' effects with Claymation look like....clay photographed
a frame at a time.  I guess I just don't get it.  (I'm sure people
will tell me that cartoons look like drawings photographed one frame
at a time.  Nevertheless, there *is* a difference.  The medium of con-
ventional animation can be transparent to me in a way that Claymation
can not.)

Return to Oz is in my opinion a great movie somewhat spoiled by the
'Miracle of Claymation' sequences.  I know that many people panned RtO
for other reasons, and lots of people like the effect of Claymation.
Just my opinion, folks.

Footnote:  The only example of start-stop photography I've ever seen that
didn't *look* like it was the Imperial Walker sequence in The Empire Strikes
Back.  There were other parts where the effect was noticable, (like similar
footage in Return of the Jedi)  but for some reason the technique really
worked in that one section of film.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."