[net.comics] Crisis on Captive Earth

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/04/86)

> From: moncol!john	(John Ruschmeyer)

> Has anyone heard of an upcoming DC title called "Crisis on Captive Earth"?
> [...]
>   Is this a followup to COIE, possibly laying out the full effects of many
> of the changes? Or is it an elaboration of the events in COIE #12?

Sorry for the lateness of this, but I kept forgetting to bring in my copy
of the latest AMAZING HEROES PREVIEW SPECIAL. Anyways, here's what they
say about it (reprinted without permission):

"Plotted by PAUL LEVITZ; scripted by LEN WEIN; pencilled by JERRY ORDWAY;
inked by KARL KESSEL; edited by BOB GREENBERGER

"12-issue maxi-series; 32 four-color pages on standard newsprint; 75 cents;
newstand distribution; published monthly.

"When the working title of this series was first announced, AH was quite
skeptical, smelling another SECRET WARS II in the offing. However, when
we grilled editor Bob Greenberger about the *raison d'etre* for such a
series...well, take it, Bob:

	'This project has absolutely *nothing* to do with CRISIS ON INFIN-
ITE EARTHS. The Crisis came to an end, we have a new DC Universe, and it's
history. this is in no way a sequel. Having been involved editorially in
last year's CRISIS, I'm personally very interested in keeping this from
resembling a sequel in any way, shape, or form. Premiering in April, it's
a 12-issue maxi-series involving our characters, and that is the only sim-
ilarity.
	'Part of it is an attempt by DC to work within the framework of the
new universe, and establish some new elements to it that will be carried on
within the mainline books.  For example, we'll be introducing a media mag-
nate of sorts who appreciates the fact that there are super-heroes, but is
somewhat suspicious and cautious of them because they all wear masks. He
will play a major role, and after the series will be a part of our universe.
	'Moreover, we'll be playing off of several elements of the DC Uni-
verse that have changed as a result of the Crisis. The Guardians, for in-
stance, are pretty much out of the picture in early 1986, which will affect
things on a cosmic scale. There are going to be lots of Green Lanterns on
Earth, which will have some impact on other super-heroes.'
	How else is it different? 'One of the things about CRISIS ON INFINITE
EARTHS was that the scope was so large, we had very little time and room for
characterization. this is more character-oriented, very consciously so. We
want to examine out people, find out what makes them heroes and what keeps
them heroes. There's that old adage that "absolute power corrupts absolutely"
--- so why haven't our characters been corrupted?
	'And it's not just heroes we'll be dealing with. We're also talking
about our villains here. Catwoman [but she's a hero now! --- jmb] is going
to have a fairly major role in this series. Ther will be some fairly major
DC characters affected in permanent ways. At the moment, we have targeted a
handful of heroes and villains, but that number will grow as editors give us
their feedback.'

[For an extensive in-depth preview of this new series (which, God willing,
will have a real name by then), check out AMAZING HEROES #91, the sepcial
post-Crisis issue...]"

End of quoted passage.

Now aren't you sorry you asked, John???

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM