[net.comics] Pixar

chabot@miles.DEC (He turns as a weath turcocl.) (02/22/86)

Every now and then, something arrives in the mail at work which can be
valued for something other than its intended contents: the announcement
of the formation of Pixar has on the front of the envelope

	HOWARD
	THE DUCK
		More adventure than
		humanly possible.

My question is,
is this the common faire from the San Rafael, CA post office (it *IS* printed
in the same red ink as is the postmark), or perhaps has this slogan been
adopted by the new home of Wally Bee?

Trapped in a 2 1/2 D space I helped create,
L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot	("It's not my fault!")

skinner@saber.UUCP (Robert Skinner) (02/22/86)

> 	HOWARD
> 	THE DUCK
> 		More adventure than
> 		humanly possible.
>

> My question is,
> is this the common faire from the San Rafael, CA post office (it *IS* printed
> in the same red ink as is the postmark), or perhaps has this slogan been
> adopted by the new home of Wally Bee?

HOWARD THE DUCK is the newest film to come from 'Lucasberg' productions,
and you know who formed Pixar...

"You know, people, I may not be black.
 But there's lots of times I sure wish I wasn't white"
	Frank Zappa

Name:	Robert Skinner
Snail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 435-8600
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!skinner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!skinner

td@alice.UucP (Tom Duff) (02/24/86)

Pixar, Inc. used to be the computer graphics division of Lucasfilm, Ltd.
Lucasfilm is currently producing a live-action film featuring
Steve Gerber's `Howard the Duck' comic book hero.  Presumably,
Pixar took their postage meter with them and haven't changed the
print design yet.

Howard the Duck will be released this summer, and has
the following credits (among others):

Executive Producer	George Lucas
Writers			Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz (American Graffiti)
Director		Willard Huyck
Producer		Gloria Katz
Starring		Lea Thompson (Back to the Future)
Starring		Jeffrey Jones (Amadeus)
Special Effects		Industrial Light & Magic
Creative Consultant	Steve Gerber

good@pixar (Craig Good: Pixar Multiplication Division) (02/26/86)

In article <1281@decwrl.DEC.COM>, chabot@miles.DEC (He turns as a weath turcocl.) writes:
> Every now and then, something arrives in the mail at work which can be
> valued for something other than its intended contents: the announcement
> of the formation of Pixar has on the front of the envelope
>
> 	HOWARD
> 	THE DUCK
> 		More adventure than
> 		humanly possible.
>
> My question is,
> is this the common faire from the San Rafael, CA post office (it *IS* printed
> in the same red ink as is the postmark), or perhaps has this slogan been
> adopted by the new home of Wally Bee?

	Since I'm on a first-name basis with Wally B., and since I work at
Pixar, I feel somewhat obligated to respond to this message.  You see,
George Lucas, producer of "Howard the Duck" (coming this August to a theatre
near you) and Steve Jobs, one of my fellow shareholders in Pixar, have joined
forces to buy the entire City of San Rafael.  We are going to take turns having
"More adventure than humanly possible" and "Real artists ship" appear on the
post marks.

	Excuse me a moment... my boss just walked in.

	Ahem.  The real story is that Pixar is currently a tenant in our
old digs at Lucasfilm, (while our new digs are being prepared) and they kindly
provide some mailroom support (at a reasonable fee, of course).  The "Howard
the Duck" production people are in the same building and, obviously, their
custom-postmark address-o-smash was used to send our announcements.  When you
have that kind of machine the Post Office doesn't need to put another mark on
the letter.  Saves them all kinds of handling, and you can have your own message
appear right there on the envelope.   Neato, huh?

		--Craig
		...ucbvax!pixar!good

ps	I'm touched to know that there are so many "Andre & Wally B." fans
	out there!

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (03/05/86)

In article <2503@pixar.pixar>, good@pixar (Craig Good: Pixar Multiplication Division) writes:
> In article <1281@decwrl.DEC.COM>, chabot@miles.DEC (He turns as a weath turcocl.) writes:
> > Every now and then, something arrives in the mail at work which can be
> > valued for something other than its intended contents: the announcement
> > of the formation of Pixar has on the front of the envelope
> >
> > 	HOWARD
> > 	THE DUCK
> > 		More adventure than
> > 		humanly possible.
> >
> > My question is,

> When you
> have that kind of machine the Post Office doesn't need to put another mark on
> the letter.  Saves them all kinds of handling, and you can have your own message
> appear right there on the envelope.   Neato, huh?
>
> 		--Craig

Remember several years ago, when the famous
"Four Color Problem" was solved?

I seem to recall that the university that did it put

     FOUR COLORS SUFFICE

on their postage meter for a while.

Sorry, I don't remember which school it was, and whether
it affected just their local post office or the whole city.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi