[net.comics] The Dark Knight Returns Book I

sds5044@ritcv.UUCP (Steven D. Smith) (03/04/86)

The first part of the Dark Knight Returns is every bit as good as DC
hyped it up to be.  Frank Miller's interpretation of a possible future
of the Batman is incredible.  The rections of the public, a thunder storm
to end all thunder storms, Two-Face and the Joker, all combine with Miller's
depiction of the Batman as a raging force that dwells within Bruce Wayne to
make for a few minutes of very enjoyable reading.

	Of course there are those out there who will fimd some faults with the
story and bring me back down to Earth.  Enjoy.

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (03/05/86)

In article <9414@ritcv.UUCP> sds5044@ritcv.UUCP (Steven D. Smith) writes:
>The first part of the Dark Knight Returns is every bit as good as DC
>hyped it up to be.

Agreed!

>	Of course there are those out there who will fimd some faults with the
>story and bring me back down to Earth.

Not I.  "Dark Knight Returns" is what The Batman is all about; I have to admit,
I was a little worried that Miller wouldn't get a handle on it, but he's
succeeded admirably.

To answer a previous question or two... Jason is Dick Grayson's successor as
Robin.  From the reference in "Dark Knight", I'd assume he was killed or maimed
(possibly as a result of some failure of The Batman?)

Getting back to the roots of what a character is all about seems to be a trend;
hopefully Byrne's Superman will continue in this vein.  (Did anybody else
notice the cover of the latest FF?  It has She-Hulk lifting a '30s automobile
over her head in a manner *very* reminiscent of the cover of one of the early
Supermans; a nice (and very subtle) touch).