[net.comics] Moriarty reviews

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/04/86)

> From:	fluke!moriarty 24-FEB-1986 07:38

> X-MEN #205 [C-]:
>
> Yes, the art is very nice, but I feel like I'm missing out on something here.
> Who is Lady Deathstrike?  I don't remember from any of the previous X-Men
> or the Kitty & Wolverine mini-series.  *Grumble* *Grumble*  The X-Men
> are so popular that Marvel tries to spread them over as many comics as
> possible, thus screwing up any character development in their own mag.

Well, *I* know where Lady Deathstrike is from, but I did find it strange
that there was no cross-reference in this issue to her previous appearance.
OK, I won't keep you in suspense any longer --- it was ALPHA FLIGHT #33-34,
which guest-starred Wolverine. I also don't recall that AF mentioned that
the Wolverine/Deathstrike fight would continue in X-MEN. Most curious,
Marvel is usually right on the ball when it comes to cross-referencing
like this.

> MISTER X #6 [D-]:
>
> I'd rate it higher except that I can remember what it was like under Los
> Brothers Hernadez -- that really makes it look shabby.

True, it wasn't that good in comparison with the Hernandez issues, but
it was a step up from the previous issue.

> THE SHADOW #1 [B+]:
>
> I can see, already, that this is going to be
> an interesting four issues (wonder if Shaka Khan shows up at any point?
> His (and The Shadow's) home is shown at the very beginning of this issue).
> Finally, doesn't the tall guy bothering Mavis at work look a lot like Jim
> Shooter?

Ah, that should be Shiwan Khan. Chaka Khan is a cute, black disco singer.
One would think that *you'd* at least have your arch-villains straight. :-)

> ACTION #579 [D+]:
>
> OK, if you're going to do a tribute to a wonderful comic, at least have the
> good sense not to just copy the jokes from the tributed comic in the first
> place.  That's tacky.  On the other hand, if this book gets just one person to
> read ASTERIX comics, it'll be worth it (especially to the person who starts
> reading them).

I didn't bother getting this issue because I'm not an Asterix fan. Once when
I was staying with a friend in Minneapolis, I passed some time by reading his
Asterix books. I found them entertaining (entertaining enough that I read all
of the ones he had there), but not quite enough to get me to buy a set for
myself, or to seek out ones that he didn't have. The only thing that really
intrigues me is in wondering how the puns manage to come across in all of
the various languages that the Asterix material is translated into!

> PUNISHER #5 [F]:
>
> Can you say "rushed".  Sure you can!  Can you say "Abort"?  Wish Shooter
> could!

Putting a fill-in team on the last issue was somewhat unavoidable.
Apparently, Zeck wasn't going to have very much of it done on time,
so they replaced him with Mike Vosburg, who did the whole issue in
record time. Unfortunately, writer Steven Grant thought the Vosburg
art was sub-standard and declined to write the issue, so he was
replaced as well. Jo Duffy and Mike Vosburg did a reasonably good
job considering the situation they had to work under, but it still
was a disappointing resolution.

> SCOUT #4  [Fashion in Action: C]:
>
> I haven't read the Scout lead stories for the last three issues, so I
> can't comment on Truman's work, but FASHION IN ACTION should be given
> its own book soon, so that SCOUT can die an undisturbed death.

Here's another point on which we disagree. Though I didn't care for
SCOUT at first, with each issue, I've gotten to like it more. "Fashion
in Action", though, has not grabbed me at all. It feels like its all
muscle and no brain.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (03/06/86)

In article <1480@decwrl.DEC.COM> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>> MISTER X #6 [D-]:
>>
>> I'd rate it higher except that I can remember what it was like under Los
>> Brothers Hernadez -- that really makes it look shabby.
>
>True, it wasn't that good in comparison with the Hernandez issues, but
>it was a step up from the previous issue.

Agreed, but I wish they'd start putting out Stig's Inferno again.  That is
really humorous stuff, and I am amazed that they concentrate on THOSE
ANNOYING POST BROTHERS (annoying is right) and MR. X before that.

>> THE SHADOW #1 [B+]:
>>
>> I can see, already, that this is going to be
>> an interesting four issues (wonder if Shaka Khan shows up at any point?
>
>Ah, that should be Shiwan Khan. Chaka Khan is a cute, black disco singer.
>One would think that *you'd* at least have your arch-villains straight. :-)

Oh, God, how embarrassing.  I had just been reading Walter Gibson's THE
SHADOW SCRAPBOOK late into the evening, and running over the great Shadow
villains, though obviously Shiwan Khan is the best.  A good reason not to
post reviews at night -- I get sloppy with lack of sleep.

                                        "That's the biz, sweetheart"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty