[net.comics] An OZian view..actually animation

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/07/86)

In article <89@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:

>Footnote:  The only example of start-stop photography I've ever seen that
>didn't *look* like it was the Imperial Walker sequence in The Empire Strikes
>Back.  There were other parts where the effect was noticable, (like similar
>footage in Return of the Jedi)  but for some reason the technique really
>worked in that one section of film.
>
>				Ron

The Walker and Tauntaun sequences in TESB were done start-stop, and the
technique is visibly shaky in some portions.  In ROTJ, however, Lucas
evidently used a large amount of go-motion; it isn't apparent to me
why the original TESB footage should look smoother than `blurred'
material.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

ARPA n. [acronym for Advanced Research Projects Agency.]  An agency of the
	U.S. Department of Defense established in 1968 to test its defenses
	against misuse and piracy in the large-scale distributed processing
	environment.
			-Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"