[net.comics] Dark Knight question

richmon@astrovax.UUCP (Michael Richmond) (03/05/86)

After reading the first of the "Dark Knight" series from DC (superb work -
with this and Daredevil, Miller is on the top of my list), I was a little
puzzled about Bruce Wayne's reason for trying to give up the Batman role
ten years ago. He makes reference to a promise he made to Jason; can anyone
tell me who Jason is (or was), or is this something that will eventually be
made clear in the series? I haven't followed Batman in the past (well, who
has? Those roofs are dangerous! :-), so this might be something I'm supposed
to know already.

The short blonde girl (is Michelle her name?) looks an awful lot like
Robin in the promotional pictures I've seen for the Dark Knight - she's
obviously fascinated by Batman (see her reaction to the Bat-signal), but
I'd like to see how she manages to handle the role. And how she manages to
convince Bruce to let her have it.

On another note, I noticed that the newest issue of Miracleman has only
about fourteen pages of Miracleman, only half of what the first few issues
had. The price has increased, too. Is this going to be the norm in future
issues, or just a passing fad? I mean, 13 cents a page is pretty steep.

--
Michael Richmond			Princeton University, Astrophysics

{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!richmon

cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP (03/07/86)

Michael Richmond (richmon@astrovax.UUCP) writes:
> [Batman] makes reference to a promise he made to Jason; can anyone
> tell me who Jason is

Let me second Michael's recommendation of Miller's Batman!  It's
wonderful!!  In answer to his question, Jason Todd was the second
Robin, after Dick Grayson became Nightwing.  Apparently Jason died
7 years ago.  Yes, I think Michelle will be the new Robin; I'm looking
forward to see how she convinces Batman to let her be.

I hope we see Selina (Catwoman - she left a message on the
answering machine).

> On another note, I noticed that the newest issue of Miracleman has only
> about fourteen pages of Miracleman, only half of what the first few issues
> had. The price has increased, too. Is this going to be the norm in future
> issues, or just a passing fad? I mean, 13 cents a page is pretty steep.

After waiting 2 years for this, I was greatly disappointed in
Miracledog - he looks like a big lizard (which Truman points out on
the cover with his "from" remark).  Its almost a self-parody of
Moore's style, and Beckum's artwork is vastly inferior to the standard
set by the previous artist.  Just contrast the dark picture of Miracledog's
first appearance, even not intended to be colored, vs. the later
pictures of MiracleGecko.  Better yet, look up the B&W issue of Warrior
this story originally appeared in, and see how much more menacing he
is there.

A BIG disappointment - I almost hope he eats Moran next issue.
(And why hasn't the moron tried saying "Steppenwolf" or "Abraxas" -
a wild shot, but worth trying, no?).

		--Carl Rigney
USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!cdrigney