[net.comics] nonsense line

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (02/25/86)

> From _The Comics_, by Jerry Robinson, p. 229:
>   _Our Boarding House_, later to star the bombastic, stuffed-shirt
> Major Hoople, was created by Gene Ahern in 1921 with the _Squirrel Cage_
> as the top.  NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
> originated in the _Squirrel Cage_.

What do you mean, "nonsense line"?  I'll bet somebody on the Net can
identify both the language and the meaning.

A tougher one is "NOTARY SOJAC," from _Smokey Stover._ I'll bet nobody
figures that one out!

	Captain Buffalo: "You see, Tommy ... When a freak laboratory accident
	  made Mudman what he is today, something happened to his mind as well.
	  He's not evil, he's sick!"
	Tommy Thrush: "Does that mean he can be cured?"
	Captain Buffalo: "Well ... probably not."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (03/02/86)

In article <831@ellie.UUCP> colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>> Major Hoople, was created by Gene Ahern in 1921 with the _Squirrel Cage_
>> as the top.  NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
>
>What do you mean, "nonsense line"?  I'll bet somebody on the Net can
>identify both the language and the meaning.
>
>A tougher one is "NOTARY SOJAC," from _Smokey Stover._ I'll bet nobody
>figures that one out!

NOTARY SOJAC anagrams to "JAY'S CARTOON".  I wonder who wrote Smokey Stover.
(It also anagrams to "A COSY TROJAN" and "JARS A TYCOON", but those aren't
very compelling.)
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

starback@kuling.UUCP (Per Starb{ck) (03/04/86)

> >              NOV SHMOZ KA POP, a nonsense line that was widely parroted,
> > originated in the _Squirrel Cage_.

> What do you mean, "nonsense line"?  I'll bet somebody on the Net can
> identify both the language and the meaning.

I am almost sure that the phrase is not to be found in any of the
languages of the world.
As for meaning; the only excert from The Squirrel Cage I have read is
three strips in the first NEMO Annual (Screwball Comics) so I may be
wrong, but it looks as if it means "Can you give me a lift, please" or
something like that.

Note 1: This is my first posting to the net, so I except it will turn
out I did everything wrong...

Note 2: Don't write follow-ups in net.comics only if you intend me to
read them, since we unfortunately don't get net.comics in Europe. Sob!
--
Per Starback		UUCP: starback@kuling.UUCP
Karlsrog. 13:H33	   or {mcvax,seismo}!enea!kuling!starback

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (03/07/86)

[FOO]

> NOTARY SOJAC anagrams to "JAY'S CARTOON".  I wonder who wrote Smokey Stover.
> (It also anagrams to "A COSY TROJAN" and "JARS A TYCOON", but those aren't
> very compelling.)
> --
> 	Jim Gillogly

Bill Holman drew "Smokey Stover." And anybody who's read "Smokey Stover"
knows enough to look for puns instead of anagrams!

	"What's up, Chief?  You look like the catfish that swallowed
	   the cannery!"	--Oops, this one's from the _Mad_ parody
	"She looks like she swallowed a cat."  --B. A. Rutledge
--

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (03/10/86)

In article <77@randvax.UUCP> jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) writes:
>In article <831@ellie.UUCP> colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>>
>>A tougher one is "NOTARY SOJAC," from _Smokey Stover._ I'll bet nobody
>>figures that one out!
>
>NOTARY SOJAC anagrams to "JAY'S CARTOON".  I wonder who wrote Smokey Stover.
>(It also anagrams to "A COSY TROJAN" and "JARS A TYCOON", but those aren't
>very compelling.)
>--
>	Jim Gillogly
>	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim
>	jim@rand-unix.arpa

Bill Holman... now there goes THAT idea...

--
*** Speak for the company?  Naaaah, it's hard enough speaking for ME! ***

 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger, ucbvax!sdcsvax!celerity!celtics!roger
ARPA: bu-cs!celtics!roger@harvard.ARPA, celerity!celtics!roger@sdcsvax.ARPA