[net.comics] DC News & May Shipping

slrichte@uok.UUCP (03/05/86)

 Before I get to the DC news, I have an announcement:

 Dave Sim, creator of CEREBUS the Aardvark, will be appearing at Southside
 Comics and SF in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on Saturday, March 15, and at
 N.O.S.F.A.RATU, a one-day SF con on Sunday, March 16, also in OKC.  If
 you would like more information or have questions for Dave, contact me
 by mail or call 1-405-329-9695.

 I got some information from DC the other day about CRISIS ON CAPTIVE
 EARTH.  It won't be coming out, at least not under that name.  It was
 felt by those at DC that the the title was misleading in that the story
 didn't have much to do with CRISIS.  The material intended for CAPTIVE
 EARTH will instead be titled LEGENDS.  The original art team of Ordway
 and Kessel may not be working on  LEGENDS, which I believe will be
 published this summer.  Marv Wolfman is still the writer and editor.

 "The Last Superman Story" will be told by ALAN MOORE and CURT SWAN in
 this month's SUPERMAN and ACTION titles.  Be sure not to miss this!
 The shipping dates are below.

 THE WATCHMEN by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons begins this month, and will
 run for 12 monthly issues.  Don't miss this either!

 Also beginning this month is THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE, three
 monthly issues tracing the complete history of DC.  This will be
 by Wolfman and Perez and will feature in each issue a removable fold-
 out centerfold.

 Baxter titles (e.g. DARK KNIGHT, WATCHMEN, HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE and
 LORDS OF THE ULTRA-REALM) are printed in Canada at Ronald's Printing and
 may arrive with the regular titles of the following week, which are
 printed at Spartan Printing in Sparta, IL.

 Now on to the highlights of DCs September 1986 schedule...

 NOTABLE DC COMICS SHIPPING MAY 6, 1986:

     SON OF AMBUSH BUG #3 by Giffen, Fleming, and Oksner
     Ambush Bug's own costume has turned against him and his socks are
     revolting!

 NOTABLE DC COMICS SHIPPING MAY 13, 1986:

     DC COMICS PRESENTS #97 by Gerber and Veitch
     This double-sized last issue features Superman's 'Final Solution'
     for the Phantom Zone crimimals.

     ANGEL LOVE #2 by Barbara Slate
     Angel discovers her new boyfriend is addicted to cocaine.

     WATCHMEN #1 by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
     Who watches the Watchmen?  A new world on the brink of destruction
     and someone is killing its heroes.

 NOTABLE DC COMICS SHIPPING MAY 20, 1986:

     SUPERMAN #423 by Moore, Swan, and Perez
     This is the last issue with this name.  This story concludes in
     ACTION #583.  The next issue will be titled something like 'The
     Adventures of SUPERMAN'.

     SECRET ORIGINS #6 by Thomas, Rogers, and Austin & Barr and Giordano
     This issue features Batman and Halo.  From now on there will be at
     least two characters per issue.

     HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1 by Wolfman and Perez
     Beginning the complete history of DC, continuing from the dawn of
     time through World War I.  This three issue series will be priced
     at $2.00 per issue, and will be collected into a single volume
     after the series is complete.  This is shipping from Ronalds in
     Canada, and will most probably be on sale with the regular books
     from next week.

 NOTABLE DC TITLES SHIPPING MAY 27, 1986:

     SWAMP THING #52 by Moore, Veitch, Alcala, and Bisstte.
     Swamp Thing heads to Gotham in search of Abby.

     THE DARK KNIGHT #4 by Miller and Janson
     The climax of the series, featuring Superman!

 NOTABLE DC TITLES SHIPPING JUNE 6, 1986:

     This is scheduled as a skip week, but THE DARK KNIGHT will probable
     show up this week.  If you need something to buy, try 'Mazing Man,
     Angel Love, or The Watchmen.

 NOTABLE DC TITLES SHIPPING JUNE 13, 1986:

     ACTION #583 by Alan Moore and Curt Swan
     This is the last issue for four months, and contains 'everything
     you'd like to know!'  What's in store for Superman, his friends and
     his enemies.

     TEEN TITANS SPOTLIGHT #2 by Wolfman, Cowan, and Giordano
     The conclusion to Starfire in Africa.

 Thats it for DC this month.  Send all comments to:

				     -- Steve Richter

USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!uok!slrichte

USMAIL:         S. Richter c/o Southside, 754 Asp, Norman, OK 73069

"One of our major flops was MARS, our fifth release.  It came at a
period when we felt we could do no wrong. -- Rick Obadiah, First Comics Publisher

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (03/11/86)

First, thanks to Steve for posting all this info -- it's great, especially
for people who don't read the trade weeklys like CBG.  I particurlarly like
his choice of interesting comics (plus his witty remarks!).

In article <11900142@uok.UUCP> slrichte@uok.UUCP writes:
> I got some information from DC the other day about CRISIS ON CAPTIVE
> EARTH.  It won't be coming out, at least not under that name.  It was
> felt by those at DC that the the title was misleading in that the story
> didn't have much to do with CRISIS.

Integrity lives.  In all honesty, can you see Marvel doing something like
this?  I am getting to be more of a DC supporter every day (however, I still
refuse to read SGT. ROCK.  Sorry, but I eat quiche, and this book just
doesn't mix well with it...)

> "The Last Superman Story" will be told by ALAN MOORE and CURT SWAN in
> [...]
> THE WATCHMEN by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons begins this month, and will
> run for 12 monthly issues.  Don't miss this either!

Moore seems to be quite busy these days, what with this, MIRACLEMAN and his
Unamed Comic.  Well, he seem to be able to produce quality AND quantity...

> Also beginning this month is THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE, three
> monthly issues tracing the complete history of DC.
Much nicer than 25 issues of another comic I could mention.

Again, Steve, thanks much.

                                "You know, sir, that there
                                 *is* a precedent for
                                 wheelchair detectives..."
                                                         "Shut up, Alfred."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty