[net.comics] Dark Knight & Miracleman

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/11/86)

> From:	astrovax!richmon	(Michael Richmond)

> After reading the first of the "Dark Knight" series from DC (superb work -
> with this and Daredevil, Miller is on the top of my list), I was a little
> puzzled about Bruce Wayne's reason for trying to give up the Batman role
> ten years ago. He makes reference to a promise he made to Jason; can anyone
> tell me who Jason is (or was), or is this something that will eventually be
> made clear in the series? I haven't followed Batman in the past (well, who
> has? Those roofs are dangerous! :-), so this might be something I'm supposed
> to know already.

I guess so. "Jason" is Jason Todd, who is currently Robin. Dick Grayson
gave up the identity some time ago to become Nightwing. Outside of BATMAN/
DETECTIVE, Jason/Robin can be seen in the last couple of issues of THE NEW
TEEN TITANS.

> On another note, I noticed that the newest issue of Miracleman has only
> about fourteen pages of Miracleman, only half of what the first few issues
> had. The price has increased, too. Is this going to be the norm in future
> issues, or just a passing fad? I mean, 13 cents a page is pretty steep.

Huh? I hadn't noticed. Actually, there are 19 pages of story: the Miracleman
reprint chapter was 6 pages, the new chapter was 8 pages, and the Young
Miracleman reprint story was 5 pages. Plus, there was another 5 pages worth
of pin-ups.
	There are a couple of things you must consider. One is that there
was a whole lot of extant story to reprint, and Eclipse wanted to get
through it as quickly as possible, so the earlier issues were denser. On
top of this was the fact that the stories were in discrete lengths that
Eclipse had no control over, unless they wanted to cut things off in strange
places (like Marvel often does with its reprints). This is generally a
undesirable thing.
	As for the price, the original 75 cent price was based on getting
cheaper printing rates from a printer in Finland. Because of the faux paus
with MIRACLEMAN #1 being damaged, as well as the printing not being quite
as good as they hoped, Eclipse has since been using a Canadian printer,
which charges higher rates. Thus, the price had to be increased to 95 cents.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM