[net.comics] Whose doing Bloom County?

lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) (02/21/86)

*
Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
who is doing the strip in his name.

The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
but the strip has carried his signature. Is
this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
else "ghosting" the strip?

Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
just imagination?

LWS
hou2d!lws
*

mcp@drutx.UUCP (PaughMC) (02/21/86)

If Bloom County were a television show, it would currently be
considered "in repeats". The strips which are running now are
old Bloom County strips which have been dusted off and re-run.

				Mike Paugh
				AT&T ISL

ma3166ay@unmc.UUCP (L.A. Electronics) (02/23/86)

In article <> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
>Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
>who is doing the strip in his name.
>
>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>else "ghosting" the strip?
>
>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>just imagination?
>
>LWS

As I'm sure will be pointed out by others, the "Bloom County" strips that are
running now are from the first year or so of the strip, when it wasn't carried
by very many papers.  Most of them were never collected in the reprint books
so they are essentially "new" strips to most readers.  (Breathed's style sure
has changed a lot over the years!)

As a bit of new information to make this post worthwhile, I might add that
Berke was released from the hospital to his home Friday morning (02/21) and
is reported to be walking around and "eager to get back to work".  We should
start seeing new material again in mid-to-late March, earlier if the syndicate
feels a need to rush things.

.rne.

-----
Ernie Longmire    {{ purdue cmcl2 ihnp4 } !lanl ucbvax } !unmvax!unmc!ma3166ay
-----
"I'm looking for my pipe bomb...I left it here a while ago and now it's gone."

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (02/24/86)

In article <892@hou2d.UUCP>, lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
> *
> Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
> who is doing the strip in his name.
> The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
> but the strip has carried his signature. Is
> this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
> else "ghosting" the strip?
> Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
> just imagination?
>
> LWS
> hou2d!lws
> *
he is.  Same guy, only papers are pulling out some of the strips that are
from several years back, I assume.  Not necessarily the same ones, either.

It looks different because artistic style changes over the years, but you
just dont notice as you go.  For example, pick up the first Garfield book, and
you will wonder who the big ugly cat is in the panels.  Characters evolve.

And yes, I've noticed too.

Forgot my path again...

arlo@ssc-vax.UUCP (James Campiche) (02/25/86)

> *
> Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
> who is doing the strip in his name.
>
> The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
> but the strip has carried his signature. Is
> this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
> else "ghosting" the strip?
>
> Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
> just imagination?
>
> LWS
> hou2d!lws
> *

I had in fact noticed the change in art style, particularly in the
way Opus looked - in fact, I thought he might have had a nose job
again without my knowing it.  But they are obviously Burk's work,
just look at some of his earlier series and you'll see they were not
ghost written, just some strips he must have had in reserve.

How come no one ever talks about Doonesbury, anyway?

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/26/86)

In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
>Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
>who is doing the strip in his name.
>
>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>else "ghosting" the strip?
>
>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>just imagination?

I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (02/28/86)

> In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
> >Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
> >who is doing the strip in his name.
> >
> >The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
> >but the strip has carried his signature. Is
> >this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
> >else "ghosting" the strip?
> >
> >Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
> >just imagination?
>
> I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
> causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
> difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
> but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.
>
> ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

If you will look closely at the strips you will notice, in small print, that
says "Copyright 1982".  These are simply reprints of 4 year old strips.  (How
soon we forget!).

BTW I recently read an article that said Berke was out of the hospital and
would be starting new strips post haste.  Hopefully by next week we'll be
reading fresh new adventures of Opus and the gang (and finding out where
Cutter John is!).
--
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

roper@uw-june (Michael Roper @ U of Washington Computer Science) (03/01/86)

>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>else "ghosting" the strip?
>
>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>just imagination?

The syndicate which distributes Bloom County to your local newspaper
is issuing previously published strips (some of them several years old)
until Breathed recovers.  He was released last week from the hospital
and is expected to return to work in a month or so.  The last of the
pre-accident Sunday strips was run 2/23.

The most noticeable difference in the artwork appeared in a few of the
very early strips featuring Opus.  The shape of his nose was quite
different then.  Otherwise, the artwork seems pretty stable.
--

--Michael Roper   ARPANET:  roper@washington.arpa
                     UUCP:  {ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!roper

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/05/86)

In article <150@valid.UUCP> pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) writes:
>> >Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>> >just imagination?
>>
>> I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
>> causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
>> difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
>> but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.
>
>If you will look closely at the strips you will notice, in small print, that
>says "Copyright 1982".  These are simply reprints of 4 year old strips.  (How
>soon we forget!).

If you will look closely at my posting you will see that I said he "is
using the EXACT SAME punchlines as before."  How do you think I noticed?

Just to make it clear:

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Didn't Santayana say something about the second time around?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (03/08/86)

In article <12038@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
>>Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
>>who is doing the strip in his name.
>>
>>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>>else "ghosting" the strip?
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>>just imagination?
>
>I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
>causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
>difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
>but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.
>
>ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

No, no, no!!!  If any of you are true fanatics ("Death to all fanatics!"
I believe Hassan i Sabbah once said) you would have noticed that they are
RE-RUNNING OLD STRIPS!!!
						Carl Greenberg

notch@srcsip.UUCP (Michael k Notch) (03/11/86)

In article <577@ssc-vax.UUCP> arlo@ssc-vax.UUCP (James Campiche) writes:
>> *
>> Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
>> who is doing the strip in his name.

I thought that people would have realized that before he restarted doing it,
the comic has been repeats.

>> Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>> just imagination?

What happens to many artists is that as they draw a particular character(Opus)
they like to experimant or they grow tired of drawing a character a particular
way. In Charles Schultz case, his characters grew in talking so he made them
grow in looks also.

>How come no one ever talks about Doonesbury, anyway?

You may not have been around when he wanted to stop doing it, but at that time
there was a great deal of talking. It seems that it takes extremes to make
people want to talk about some things.

--
 "But... What about Naomi?"

USENET:  ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!notch     Michael k Notch
	 philabs!srcsip!notch          Honeywell  SRC/SIP/MVT
				       MN17-2349