[net.comics] dark knight

mwm@dartvax.UUCP (M. W. Modrall) (03/07/86)

i dunno guys... granted, dark knight was very good...
but i think he went a bit overboard with the psychotic batman
image... i mean, razor edged batarangs???
everyone seems to be expecting batman to utterly maim
everybody... batman never used to seem that way to me before...
there comes a point where heroism gets lost in violence
at least for me.
-mwm

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/16/86)

> From:	dartvax!mwm

> i dunno guys... granted, dark knight was very good...
> but i think he went a bit overboard with the psychotic batman
> image... i mean, razor edged batarangs???
> everyone seems to be expecting batman to utterly maim
> everybody... batman never used to seem that way to me before...
> there comes a point where heroism gets lost in violence
> at least for me.

Before you forget:

(1) This series takes place some 20 or so years in the future, when crime
	pretty much rules, especially with Batman having been gone for 10
	years.
(2) Bruce Wayne has been basicly losing his marbles for the 10 years he's
	been in retirement. Batman is represented as a Hyde figure to Wayne's
	Jekyll, one that's finally broken loose again.
(3) The news reports, and especially the near-mugging Wayne got finally "did
	him in".
(4) He just isn't in shape anymore; he can't afford to be nice.
(5) I suspect that this near-unrestrained violence on Batman's part is one
	of the things that Miller is going to examine in this series.
(6) Just because Batman threw his batarangs hard enough to imbed them in
	someone's arm doesn't mean they're razor-edged.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM