[net.comics] Cerebus

ciaraldi (04/28/83)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
I saw Dave Sim at a con here in Rochester two weeks ago, and got him
to autograph my copy of Cerebus #1. I also met Deni for the first time.
She said that she and Dave had had a long talk (prompted partly by
Gene Day's death) about what to do if Dave should die before completing
Cerebus' story. They decided to finish with the "Swords" series of
reprints, but not to have any new stories. She also said that no one
could really wrap it up, because Dave has everything in his head.
Maybe we can all move to Kitchener and surround his house
with our swords drawn, to shield him from danger.

If you like "cerebus"
and "Elfquest" (at least the parts about having long stories)
you might try Jack Katz's "The First Kingdom". It comes out twice
a year, and is now up to issue #14 or so.  It is a tremendously
convoluted s&s/sf story, spanning millions of years and a whole
galaxy, but primarily set on a post-holocaust Earth.

kh (04/30/83)

 Yes, I've heard of D'arc Tangent; matter of fact, I subscribed to it
way back in August, long before the first issue came out. Foglio
said that it would be good, and I trusted him, and he was right.
Foglio has a *very* cartoonish style of pencilling, but this is tempered
by Freff's inking and brings it to a more realistic point of view.
I don't happen to have The Fantasy Factory's address with me right
now, but mail me and I'll tell you. I do know, however, that
DT is $2.00 per issue, three times a year, and will run for sixteen
issues or thereabouts. And remember, I think that Foglio is one
of the best writers in the business... (note: this is a subtle
reminder that I am running a best/worst artists/writers survey.
Only one person has responded so far...). So, all in all, I feel
that D'arc Tangent is one of the best buys in Fan Comics today.

               _   _
	      /.| |.\        The Demolished Hacker
	    -|  | |  |-      Kevin Maroney
	      \_| |_/        duke!unc!kh

Avoid the rush! Get those cards and letters in!

egy@sdchema.UUCP (Eugene G. Youngerman) (08/30/83)

     And for anyone else who cares to know:

     Cerebus is a ground level comic, independently written
and published in Canada.  The artist, writer, creator, inker, and
letterer is a very talented gentlemen named Dave Sim.  The
publisher is his wife, Denise Sim.  The main character is a
furry aardvark named Cerebus, who I imagine, began as a parody
on Conan, the Barbarian.  Since then the series has changed
some, and now parodies anything.
     Some of the more memorable characters, are Lord Julius
(Groucho Marx), Elrod, the Albino, and the Cockroach (Captain Cockroach,
the amazing Moon Roach, and most recently Wolverroach).   The
humor is sometimes hilarious, nearly always subtle, and
frequently satirical.
     Sim's most ambitious work to date has been his recent
20 issue long "Graphic Novel".  I am not yet ready to
comment on the success of this, as I have not yet read it
in its entirety, without interruption.
     I like the series, and recommend it, but it is not for
everybody.  The humor is not as funny as, for example,
the old Metal Men (48-56), but I find it more enjoyable, and
not as heavy-handed as Marty Pasko's E-Man (By the way,
Joe Staton is now writing as well as drqwing E-Man, and the
mag is quite enjoyable.)  Enough.

				I am
				GINO!

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (09/04/83)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
To follow up on the Cerebus inquiry and the message by GINO!,
some comments for the reader getting into Cerebus.

1) Cerebus is published monthly, with a marked cover price
   of $1.60 Canadian, and, in small print, $1.40 U.S.
   Some dealers have been charging $1.60 U.S. by accident
   or design.
2) There is a continuing controversy about whether the Cerebus
   stories are so interconnected that a new reader cannot
   start at any random issue.  I am undecided, but it seems
   right now would be a good time to start, since a new
   storyline is beginning in the current issue, and the
   last long-coontinued one has just finished (#50).
3) If you want to start collecting back issues, the first
   20 are available reprinted in "Swords of Cerebus" #1-5.
   The original idea is that these trade aperbacks would
   stay in print, thereby achieving the Elfquest goal of
   letting people pick up all the old stories inexpensic\vely.
   However, there has been talk that they may be allowed to
   go out of print, perhaps in favor of  thicker
   collections.
4) Cerebus is one of my favorites, because it never takes itself
   too seriously, but is often insightful and touhiching.
   What more can you ask for?
5) Lastly, Cerebus #52 had a short EQ parody. I have heard
   Dave Sim say, half in jest, that Cerebus and Elfquest
   sell the same number of copies every year, but it
   bothers him that he has to draw 12 issues to do this,
   and Wendy Pini only has to draw 3!
Yours in good aardvarking,
Mike Ciaraldi

mwm@dartvax.UUCP (M. W. Modrall) (03/07/86)

in regards to the request for the posting on cerebus main characters:

Red Sophia - parody of red sonja of the marvel line... met cerebus early
   on and loved him because "he was the only man to beat her in fair battle"
   but cerebus wasn't interested... she pops up from time to time.
   weishaupt drugged cerebus in an issue in the 60's and married them to
   get cerebus to be prime minister of iest and undo all the republic silly
ness that he had started in his previous term.  currently separated from
cerebus

Elrod the albino- parody of Elric of Melbourne by Micheal Moorhead... general
   nuisance, pops up to annoy cerebus at various points in his life... last seen
   in cerebus #52 i think it was...

Weishaupt - now dead, but during his day, he concocted several schemes to
   take over everything... last was the confederation of which he was
   a president... real wheeler dealer, but his plans tend to contain tragic
   flaws (like cerebus being made pope)

Astoria - female counterpart to Weishaupt... key figure in getting cerebus
   elected prime minister of iest in the issures 30-50, but then for political
   reasons relegated to being his secretary... she has been seen skulking
   around the political scene since Cerebus resigned his prime ministership
   in issue 51... she is a cirinist, a feminist religion that thinks women
   should take over...

the Countess - mysterious lady who gave cerebus shelter after he was ousted
   from the prime ministership in iest.  appeared to be developing a strong
   relationship with cerebus until the bug appeared in yet another in
carnation , the wolveroach.  it turns out that she is enormously taken with
the bug.  Cerebus leaves her house, and she is not heard from since...

Lord Julius - caustic obnoxious groucho look alike who is the pm of the
    largest and richest city state in the region. everyone owes large sums
    to him... he rules through confusion, primarily never letting anything
    constructive be accomplished.  always is behind the scenes in any given
    venture... opposed cerebus' election in 1414, and is now apparently
    in line for presidency of the confederation.

Duke Leonardi - counterpart of Chico marx... rather stupid ruler of new sepra
    always hangs around julius and plays straight man for his jokes.

Jaka - a nightclub dancer in beduin.. once cerebus was drugged to fall in love
    with her, and she returned the sentiment.  the drug evenutally wore off,
    leaving cerebus with no memory of her.  at some point cerebus remembers
    what they had, but never goes back for her.  she on the other hand
    pops up now and again, still loving cerebus, though recent developments
    indicate that cerebus waited too long and she got married to someone
    else, and is now pregnant

the bug - largest source of comic relief in the series, the bug has a rotating
    series of personalities, and he parodies whichever comic character that
    sim feels like lambasting... he started as batman, then became captain
    cockroach after captain america, then moon roach, then sgt preston of the
    yukon, then priest roach, then wolveroach.  hasn't been seen in quite
    some time , and we're still wondering where he is.

Prof. Charles X Claremont - last seen as a ghost controlling the wolve
    roach.  he started as a magician who cerebus stumbled across while
    he was making the armageddon beast  "the woman thing".  cerebus traveled
    with him a while until they found the "sumpthing".  the two beasts
   lunged at each other and started to mate, crushing claremont and making
   him a ghost.  the two creatures, and the owner of the sumpthing now
   form the "triumviate of tarim" as seen in 82...

the regency elf - a beautiful, innocent little pixie who inhabits the
   room that cerebus lived in while he was prime minister.  loves
   cerebus and prob
   provided him with most of his emotional support during his reign

thrunk - now calling himself tarim.  used to be necross the hahahahahah
   mad, and evil magician.  he was killed by a bunch of peasants and
   his consciousness transferred to his large stone figure, thrunk.
   "Cerebus isn't quite sure. 12 ton paperweights arent usually given
    as proof of sanity".  anyway... at last sighting, he was stuck
   in his tower, because the stairs wouldn't support his stone weight.

henrot the magician - father of red sophia, magician and occasional
   supporter of cerebus... on a couple of occasions he has given cerebus
   help,. but mostly likes to laugh at him.

bran macmuffin - ex-leader, ex-living member of the pigts a sect
   of barbarians living underground who worship a later figure of cerebus.
   bran took cerebus as the second coming, but the people weren't quite sure
   so while bran took a position of cerebus' adviser, the rest of the pigts
   have been conspicuously abscent. with the showdown with thrunk, bran
   became disillusioned and impaled himself.

 there are many other minor characters, like poobah, silverspoon,
and the three girl claremont used to make the woman thing, but they
are so negli
gable that descriptions of them are irrelevant...
-hope some of this helps...

-mark
mwm@dartvax

datanguay@watdaisy.UUCP (David Tanguay) (03/16/86)

> in regards to the request for the posting on cerebus main characters:
>
> Red Sophia - parody of red sonja of the marvel line... met cerebus early
	Also Henrot-Gutch (sp?), Sophia's mother-in-law, in the best spirit of
	battle-axe mother-in-laws.

> Elrod the albino- parody of Elric of Melbourne by Micheal Moorhead... general
	Um, Elric of Melnibone, by Michael Moorcock, just in case somebody wants
	to look up the novels...

> Weishaupt - now dead, but during his day, he concocted several schemes to
	He invented cannons (and gunpowder) before croaking. This may yet be
	Cerebus's means back to power.

> Astoria - female counterpart to Weishaupt... key figure in getting cerebus
>    in issue 51... she is a cirinist, a feminist religion that thinks women
>    should take over...
	She is the daughter of Cirin, but is not all that cirinistic -- she
	seems to have founded the Kevilists, major opponents of the Cirinists,
	but isn't really a Kevilist herself. She has her own ideas -- she is
	a feminist, though. Also former wife of Lord Julius.

> Jaka - a nightclub dancer in beduin.. once cerebus was drugged to fall in love
	Cerebus loves her too, but it's taken him a while to realise it. Jaka is
	the niece (really (he calls his 'concubines' his 'nieces')) of
	Lord Julius.

> bran macmuffin - ex-leader, ex-living member of the pigts a sect
>    became disillusioned and impaled himself.
	Actually, Fret Mac Murray (sp?) was causing problems on the home front,
	with Bran away, claiming that Cerebus was not the second coming. Thrunk
	convinced Bran that he (Bran) was mistaken, so Bran had to step down as
	leader of the Pigts.

>  there are many other minor characters, like poobah, silverspoon,
> and the three girl claremont used to make the woman thing, but they
> are so negligable that descriptions of them are irrelevant...
	One of those girls is Jaka's little sister (forget her name), and another
	Theresa, who has since become a leading society lady in Iest, and is a
	major source of information for us readers (and, formerly, Weishaupt)
	about the intrigues of other people (notably Astoria).
David Tanguay   watdaisy!datanguay@waterloo.CSNET  (maybe)

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/16/86)

> From:	dartvax!mwm

> in regards to the request for the posting on cerebus main characters:

There's a couple of things to add to your comments:

> Elrod the albino- parody of Elric of Melbourne by Micheal Moorhead...

That's Elric of Melnibone' by Michael Moorcock.

> [Adam] Weishaupt...

It should be noted that the source for this character is a real person,
the founder of the Bavarian Illuminati in the late 1700's. It is said
(though I don't know how true it is) that the real Weishaupt was a
double for George Washington --- which is why Sim drew him as he did ---
and in Shea & Wilson's novels about the Illuminati, they "claim" that
for at least part of Washington's presidency, it was actually Weishaupt
that ran our country and not Washington.

> the bug - ...hasn't been seen in quite
>     some time , and we're still wondering where he is.

Not nowadays. ("I can't tell you. They're *secret* Sacred Wars.")

> henrot the magician - father of red sophia...

Henrot is a characiture of Frank Thorne, former principal artist on the
Red Sonja strip. Thorne used to appear at conventions as Henrot (an anagram
of Thorne) with Wendy Pini as Sonja.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (03/18/86)

[...]

Just a note on Weishaupt for those who may be absolutely certain
he's dead:

	The "real" Adam Weishaupt was the founder of the
	Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria (i.e. the
	Bavarian Illuminati) in 1776.  Those who have read
	the Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and
	Robert Shea know that Weishaupt faked his death
	after the Bavarian Illuminati were purged by local
	authorities and later took the place of George
	Washington.  That's right, old George was disposed
	of and Weishaupt took over the American government
	for his own nefarious ends.  (Did you know that
	Yog Sothoth of the Cthulhu mythos is imprisoned
	under the Pentagon?  Why do you think they made
	the place five-sided?)

Anyway, it is clear that Dave has read the Illuminatus books and
took Weishaupt from them.  Weishaupt is a dead-ringer for George
Washington, and of course, a consummate schemer.  For this reason,
I wouldn't go so far as to say Weishaupt is really dead...Cerebus
is not the hardest person in the world to fool, but the pope makes
a great witness.

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo