[net.comics] New Marvel Universe

cc-30@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (01/21/86)

     Heard an idea about why Marvel/Shooter is suddenly going to be pushing
out a whole new universe with lots of new characters--it seems Kirby has a good
chance of getting the rights to his characters, possibly leaving Marvel with
nothing but Spiderman (unless Ditko sues).
     Any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear.

                               --Kathy Li

p.s.  Is it true that it's an official policy of Shooter's that NO negative
      letters are to be printed in Marvel comics?

>      Heard an idea about why Marvel/Shooter is suddenly going to be pushing
> out a whole new universe with lots of new characters--it seems Kirby has a good
> chance of getting the rights to his characters, possibly leaving Marvel with
> nothing but Spiderman (unless Ditko sues).

"Nothing but Spiderman" is a bit of an exaggeration -- Marvel does have a
number of post-Kirby characters.  The X-Men come to mind.  But just think:
it would kill off X-Factor!  What a marvellous [pun unintentional] idea!
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (01/27/86)

>"Nothing but Spiderman" is a bit of an exaggeration -- Marvel does have a
>number of post-Kirby characters.  The X-Men come to mind.  But just think:
>it would kill off X-Factor!  What a marvellous [pun unintentional] idea!
>				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
*****
Hmmm, I wonder.  Could it be that Shooter had a double motivation for
creating x-factor?  Besides 'wanting to bring the original X-men together',
he might also be hedging his bets by removing all the original characters
from the current X-men mag.  Notice that even Professor X has been moved
off to the other end of the galaxy.  He may be unethical, (and you can quote
me) but the guy's not an idiot.  I wonder whether this has anything to do
with the re-creation of more recent characters like ms. marvel.

Anyone know exactly which characters Kirby created?  Another question:
While all this fecal matter is going on, what's Stan Lee doing?  Is he
entirely in the background now?  (Perhaps like Gene Roddenberry and the
Star Trek movies.)

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/20/86)

> From:	ulowell!dobro	(gryphon)

> I'm confused. Could someone out there please *summarize* what is happening
> to the Marvel Universe this summer.
>
> I have lost track of what is going on.

Nothing is happening to *the* Marvel Universe this summer. What's happening
is that Marvel is creating a whole new different universe *in addition to*
the one they currently have. They are starting up something like eight new
comics that are all set in this new universe.

Any bets that this "New Universe" will be the one that was created in the
Beyonder's realm at the end of SECRET WARS II, and that eventually the two
universes will interact like the various Earth-whatevers that DC had up
until the Crisis?

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (03/22/86)

Does anyone have any info on the content of the new universe?
Is it going to include, for example, THE NAM, which I recall
to be a rather lengthy, but limited, series based on historical
(?) evidence?

Or is it going to be another vaguely-futuristic sf universe like
the current one?

I'm vaguely curious.  At the moment, though, except for DD, NM,
X-Men and X-Factor, my money goes to DC.  I don't think this
new universe stuff is going to change things any.
--
	"Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?"