[net.garden] lawn-eating rabbits

ml@python.UUCP (M. Lampell) (06/05/85)

Just moved into a new house with a large lawn... For the first couple
of weeks we've been enjoying the appearance of two "cute" rabbits
in the afternoons.
Today I witnessed the fatter of the two munching on our lawn, which
DOES seem to have a lot of bald spots.

Is there some way to get this behaviour to stop in a non-violent
fashion?

		M. Lampell
		Bell Communications Research

res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (06/05/85)

> Just moved into a new house with a large lawn... For the first couple
> of weeks we've been enjoying the appearance of two "cute" rabbits
> in the afternoons.
> Today I witnessed the fatter of the two munching on our lawn, which
> DOES seem to have a lot of bald spots.
>
> Is there some way to get this behaviour to stop in a non-violent
> fashion?

If the rabbits in your neighborhood are like the ones in mine, they are
not causing the bald spots.  In my lawn I found that they were feasting
on the clover that had taken over portions of the lawn.  Now that we
have an effective weed control program underway we have no clover and
seldom have rabbits enjoying a repast on our lawn.

If this is not the case for your lawn, I believe that a product which
is essentially dried blood is available.  Sprinkling it around your
lawn and shrubs should make these places offensive to the rabbits.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/06/85)

In article <140@python.UUCP> ml@python.UUCP (M. Lampell) writes:
>Just moved into a new house with a large lawn... For the first couple
>of weeks we've been enjoying the appearance of two "cute" rabbits
>in the afternoons.
>Today I witnessed the fatter of the two munching on our lawn, which
>DOES seem to have a lot of bald spots.
>Is there some way to get this behaviour to stop in a non-violent
>fashion?
>		M. Lampell

Sure... Just plant a garden, and invest much time and money and effort
in putting in lettuce, carrots, etc... Your lawn will be untouched
thereafter... :-) :-) :-)

nosmo@pyuxqq.UUCP (P Valdata) (06/07/85)

Maybe you have yuppie rabbits--ours always eat dandelions and
weeds, not the lawn itself.  They don't even bother the
vegetable garden.  Gives us a good excuse NOT to apply weed
killer or spend too many dollars to have a lawn as pretty as
our neighbors--our weeds support local wildlife!

Aren't bald spots in lawns sometimes caused by grubs?

Pat Valdata
pyuxh!nosmo

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (06/10/85)

The rabbits are not the culprits on your lawn.  They do not eat
the grass down to the roots.  You probably have some type of
grub scoffing up your grass roots.  Even if a rabbit eats down
to the root, the grass will put out new shoots within a day.
Keep watching the critters and organic the gubs.
That's grubs.
T. C. Wheeler

tower@inmet.UUCP (06/11/85)

Re: Lawn Eating Rabbits.

Here in New England, bare spots in lawns are often caused by large rocks
under the spots.  This is an annually recurring problem, as the rocks
are slowly brought to the surface by the frosts each winter.

We "harvest" quite a few each spring, and have used them to edge our
flower beds.  The technique is to probe with a three foot pry bar, and
work them out.  The rock is replaced with a peat_moss/loam mixture, and
the grass grows in from the sides quite nicely.

-len tower	    UUCP:     {bellcore,ima,ihnp4}!inmet!tower
 Intermetrics, Inc. INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
		    USPS:     733 Concord Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA
		    PHONE:    +1 (617) 661-1840