[net.garden] Tomatoes; Cantaloupes

beth@gymble.UUCP (06/11/85)

In article <5910@duke.UUCP> jbd@duke.UUCP writes:
> ...     I'm
>trying to replace the lost tomatoes with "suckers" removed from the
>surviving plants (removed when about 12 inches long, and rooted).  Has anyone
>else tried this?

I haven't tried this outdoors, but I propagate my indoor tomatos by
chopping off shoots about 12" long and sticking them in soil.  I keep
them out of the sun for several days until they start to take root.
They look pretty bad at first.  I've had best success with branches that
have the beginning of rootnodes on them.  My original plant is 27 months
old and still growing tomatos.  Two "babies" are over a year old each.
It's nice to have houseplants that make things you can eat.

In that vein, I am growing Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe both indoors and
out.  Do the blossoms on the indoor plant need to be pollinated?

					Beth Katz