[net.garden] Help with lawn selection needed

piety@hplabs.UUCP (Bob Piety ) (06/06/85)

I am thinking about planting a lawn in a sunny, dry area which I don't want
to water very much.  Reading various pieces of literature has helped me
narrow my choice to Zoysia (Japonica, Meyer, or Z-52) or Tifgreen Bermuda.
I am especially interested in the Zoysia, but it is not popular around here
and I have only seen pictures of it in magazines and books.  Anyone out
there with any experience with it?

I hate to mow lawns and plan to only do so once or twice a year.  Any
suggestions as to which grass will be a better choice under those conditions?
How long do each get if unmowed?  Any other suggestions for a
drought-resistant ground cover that can be walked on?

By the way, I don't care about how the lawn looks since it is going in the
back yard & will replace dirt, rocks, weeds and sand.  I just don't want to
wind up wading through knee-high grass if it isn't regularly mowed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (06/07/85)

> I am thinking about planting a lawn in a sunny, dry area which I don't want
> to water very much.  Reading various pieces of literature has helped me
> narrow my choice to Zoysia (Japonica, Meyer, or Z-52) or Tifgreen Bermuda.

I don't know what kind of bermuda we had (Tifgreen may be a special
kind ...) but it was a royal pain to deal with.  The stuff grows
without care.  It grows under concrete, it grows into flower beds.
It grows under the house and up the walls.  Left to it's self, it
goes to seed producing a forest of 6 inch tassels that make many
folks sneeze.  Should you decide to remove it, be prepared for a
year or two of work.  And it does seem to creep back in from
somewhere from time to time thereafter.

In the winter (in the Central Valley of California) it becomes
an interesting manila brown dormant mat.

Don't know what the Zoysia is, but it can't be much worse.
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) (06/09/85)

In article <> piety@hplabs.UUCP (Bob Piety ) writes:
>I am thinking about planting a lawn in a sunny, dry area which I don't want
>to water very much.  Reading various pieces of literature has helped me
>narrow my choice to Zoysia (Japonica, Meyer, or Z-52) or Tifgreen Bermuda.

>there with any experience with it?
>I hate to mow lawns and plan to only do so once or twice a year.  Any

>How long do each get if unmowed?  Any other suggestions for a

 I am afraid that you are going to have to choose some different lawn material
neither Zoysia nor Bermuda will meet the requirements you stated. Both require
weekly cutting, both brown out in winter and Zoysia is a VERY fine leaf (like
sitting/walking on a bed of needles! ) May I suggest that you read either
the TIME-LIFE "Lawns and Ground covers" or one of the SUNSET Lawn and Ground
Cover books. They have suggestions for non-grass ground covers which do not
require mowing, don't brown out, and don't need a lot of water.

 In fact the SUNSET offices are close to you in Menlo Park, they have a nice
tour and give good advice.

(Ps. Do you know Craig and/or Sandy James? If so say hi y'all from MAD in
Hotlanta! )

--

             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

                   "there's a unicorn in the garden and he's eating a lily"
                    gatech!dcc1!unixcorn

rws@gypsy.UUCP (06/10/85)

Almost all grass is drought resistant, as long as you don't do a
half-hearted job of watering.  That is, either don't water it at all, or
water it for a full hour once and only once a week.  Now, the grass WILL
turn brown in the summer, but it will come right back in the fall.

Alternatives:
- Meadow:  you can buy boxes of "meadow seeds", which are a mixture of wild
plant seeds similar to what you would find in a natural meadow.  If I had
more land I would try this.

- "ground covers": get a good nursery catalog and you'll find dozens of
low-growing plants that you can put where you don't want to mow.  Pay
attention to what they say about how fast it spreads, and whether or not it
can be kept in check with a lawn mower.

Good luck

Bob Schwanke

Siemens Research
Princeton, NJ
08540-6668

seismo!princeton!siemens!rws

gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) (06/12/85)

In article <> piety@hplabs.UUCP (Bob Piety ) writes:
>I am thinking about planting a lawn in a sunny, dry area which I don't want
>to water very much.  Reading various pieces of literature has helped me
>narrow my choice to Zoysia (Japonica, Meyer, or Z-52) or Tifgreen Bermuda.

I have zoysia in my front yard (sorry, don't remember which
kind, it's listed in the Sunset New Western Garden book (which I
highly recommend) with the common name Korean Grass).  Zoysia is
typically bought in flats, and you put plugs in your yard at
intervals.  The plugs will spread and grow together in a year or
less depending on how closely they are placed.  It did get a
little brown in spots during the winter.  Spring came, I started
fertilizing it, and it's now a pretty emerald green, with bumps
where the plugs went in.  Much more interesting-looking than
your typical grass lawn.

--

Gail Bayley Hanrahan
Calma Company, San Diego