[net.garden] pseudo-fern?

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) (06/05/85)

I have a west-facing bay window that would be just the place to put a
big Boston fern on a stand, except that there's too much light for a
Boston fern.  I don't want to filter out the light with a semi-sheer
curtain.  Does anyone know of a houseplant "like" a fern, big and fluffy
with hanging leaves and all that, that could tolerate bright light?

Karen

rws@gypsy.UUCP (06/10/85)

Spider plants are great for that sort of thing.  There's one sending out a
shoot full of blossoms over my terminal right now.

Bob Schwanke

Siemens Research
Princeton, NJ
08540-6668

seismo!princeton!siemens!rws

beth@gymble.UUCP (06/11/85)

>Bob Schwanke writes:
>Spider plants are great for that sort of thing.  There's one sending out a
>shoot full of blossoms over my terminal right now.

I agree that spider plants are great, but I believe the person who asked
had a BRIGHT window.  My spiders grow better in difused light, not direct
sun.  That's why I moved my office spider out of the window.  Basket tomatos
are great for sun. However, that didn't match the specs.
					Beth Katz

nemo@rochester.UUCP (06/12/85)

Don't know anything that resembles a fern that also likes bright light,
but if you're after foliage, you might consider coleus.  They love light
and will have more of their distinctive variagation with more light.
Keep cutting it back (the cuttings root easily) and it will bush out
nicely.  Some mints have ruffly foliage like ferns, and they will tolerate
strong light (or just about anything - they are very invasive so are best
grown in pots where they can be kept at bay).
Happy gardening
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

tarnopol@ttidcb.UUCP (Lewis Tarnopol) (06/13/85)

In article <2506@decwrl.UUCP> kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) writes:

>I have a west-facing bay window that would be just the place to put a
>big Boston fern on a stand, except that there's too much light for a
>Boston fern.  I don't want to filter out the light with a semi-sheer
>curtain.  Does anyone know of a houseplant "like" a fern, big and fluffy
>with hanging leaves and all that, that could tolerate bright light?
>
>Karen

Dear Karen,

Try Mimosa Pudica aka Sensitive Plant.  It is an elegant fern-like plant
whose leaves fold up instantly when touched.  It's an annual and grows to
1 ft in height.  Seeds are available from Burpee (and I have a few extra
seeds if you're interested).
Lewis Tarnopol
Citicorp/TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 3082
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!tarnopol