[net.garden] WARNING

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (06/21/85)

> (wrt cutworms)  Direct spraying with 50%
> ammonia (mixed with tap water) does not work (although it's death to slugs
> and snails - also providing a mild foliar feed of nitrogen).
> Lewis Tarnopol
Although the body of advice concerning cutworms was correct, I urge
			CAUTION
if you plan to use 50% ammonia to discourage the slugs.  In my moist,
cool western NY garden, slugs are a major pest and I am continually
searching for new and better ways of fending them off my plants.  So
I tried this suggestion.  While some plants did not seem to mind (the
strawbs, and kale), many of the plants that I sprayed (spinach that was
interplanted with the strawbs to discourage slugs - unsuccessfully;
morning glories, a volunteer tomato, cosmos) developed wilted, yellowed
leaves.  So much for mild foliar feed!  I haven't had much opportunity
to examine the treated area for slugs, so I'll report on that later.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

nemo@rochester.UUCP in <10315@rochester.UUCP>:

> > (wrt cutworms)  Direct spraying with 50%
> > ammonia (mixed with tap water) does not work (although it's death to slugs
> > and snails - also providing a mild foliar feed of nitrogen).
> > Lewis Tarnopol
> Although the body of advice concerning cutworms was correct, I urge
> 			CAUTION
> if you plan to use 50% ammonia to discourage the slugs.  In my moist,
> cool western NY garden, slugs are a major pest and I am continually
> searching for new and better ways of fending them off my plants.  So
> I tried this suggestion.  While some plants did not seem to mind (the
> strawbs, and kale), many of the plants that I sprayed (spinach that was
> interplanted with the strawbs to discourage slugs - unsuccessfully;
> morning glories, a volunteer tomato, cosmos) developed wilted, yellowed
> leaves.  So much for mild foliar feed!  I haven't had much opportunity
> to examine the treated area for slugs, so I'll report on that later.
> Nemo

Just curious, what kind of ammonia is being referred to?  A 50% solution
of household 'ammonia' would be less strong than a 50% solution of anhy-
drous ammonia (if the latter was even possible).  Is there a 'garden'
ammonia?  (Haven't noticed any such thing among the pesticides and garden
fertilizers last time I was in a garden supply house, maybe I'll look harder.)
If household ammonia was used, was it the clear or the sudsy kind?  (I'd
presume you would want to use the clear kind.)  Also I would suppose that
different brands of household ammonia differ in strength; presumably they
could be equalized by testing with pH paper.  Just curious; it's been years
since I gardened (live in apartment) but I enjoy reading this group.

Dan Levy
AT&T Teletype Corp.
Skokie, Ill.
...!ihnp4!ttrdc!ttbcad!levy

tarnopol@ttidcb.UUCP (Lewis Tarnopol) (06/24/85)

In article <10315@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:
>> (wrt cutworms)  Direct spraying with 50%
>> ammonia (mixed with tap water) does not work (although it's death to slugs
>> and snails - also providing a mild foliar feed of nitrogen).
>> Lewis Tarnopol
>Although the body of advice concerning cutworms was correct, I urge
>			CAUTION
>if you plan to use 50% ammonia to discourage the slugs.  In my moist,
>cool western NY garden, slugs are a major pest and I am continually
>searching for new and better ways of fending them off my plants.  So
>I tried this suggestion.  While some plants did not seem to mind (the
>strawbs, and kale), many of the plants that I sprayed (spinach that was
>interplanted with the strawbs to discourage slugs - unsuccessfully;
>morning glories, a volunteer tomato, cosmos) developed wilted, yellowed
>leaves.  So much for mild foliar feed!  I haven't had much opportunity
>to examine the treated area for slugs, so I'll report on that later.
>Nemo

Thanks for the input, Nemo.  I sprayed tomatoes, chard, spinich, basil and
lettuce with the 50% ammonia mixture with no harmful results, but
discontinued the practice after a few days.  Maybe I was lucky but there
was no wilt or yellowed leaves.  The ammonia mixture was meant only as a
direct kill, i.e. it must be sprayed on a slug or snail...it will not deter
them.  Again, I was looking for a way to eliminate the large cutworms on my
vegetables without picking the squirmy little buggers off with my fingers.
Ultimately, I now use my fingers (gloved!!).  Perhaps a 10% solution would
achieve the snail/slug kill without offending the leaves, but now, after your
report, I think it would be better to drop the ammonia idea of mine.

By the way, I get 100% direct spray kill using Safer's soap (nursaries carry
it) solution on the ants that feed the various aphid species on my tomato
plants. (Ants feed the aphids for the tasty excrement they provide).
Lewis Tarnopol
Citicorp/TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 3082
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!tarnopol

tarnopol@ttidcb.UUCP (Lewis Tarnopol) (06/27/85)

In article <242@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>nemo@rochester.UUCP in <10315@rochester.UUCP>:
>>
>> > (wrt cutworms)  Direct spraying with 50%
>> > ammonia (mixed with tap water) does not work (although it's death to slugs
>> > and snails - also providing a mild foliar feed of nitrogen).
>> > Lewis Tarnopol
>Just curious, what kind of ammonia is being referred to?  A 50% solution
>of household 'ammonia' would be less strong than a 50% solution of anhy-
>drous ammonia (if the latter was even possible).  Is there a 'garden'
>ammonia?  (Haven't noticed any such thing among the pesticides and garden
>fertilizers last time I was in a garden supply house, maybe I'll look harder.)
>If household ammonia was used, was it the clear or the sudsy kind?  (I'd
>presume you would want to use the clear kind.)  Also I would suppose that
>different brands of household ammonia differ in strength; presumably they
>could be equalized by testing with pH paper.  Just curious; it's been years
>since I gardened (live in apartment) but I enjoy reading this group.
>
>Dan Levy
>AT&T Teletype Corp.
>Skokie, Ill.
>...!ihnp4!ttrdc!ttbcad!levy
Dear Dan,
I used clear, non-soapy, plain-wrap, white (i.e. opaque white vs. green)
ammonia.  I don't think different brands would differ enough to make a
difference here.  And as an apartment dweller - try container gardening; it's
great!!
						Lew