[net.garden] Automatic lawn sprinkler info needed

kkh@mtunh.UUCP (Ken Hom) (06/25/85)

Subject: Automatic lawn sprinkler info needed
Anyone has any information on how to install automatic lawn
sprinkler ?

  -What is the best way to dig ditches for the piping network ?
  -How deep should I dig ?
  -Is there any power tool that I can rent beside using a pick and
    dig (the hard way!)?

  -Where could I rent such of power tool to make ditches ?   Cost ?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry about the last posting!

Newsgroups: net.garden

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (06/26/85)

>You said something about digging trenches for sprinklers ...

I found that digging the trenches by hand was very satisfying.
I used a broad bladed pick, which I have always called a
mattock.  It makes a nice 4" wide trench.  It is good to dig
down deep enough so that your pop-up sprinklers can fit into
the T-joints with a small piece of connecting pipe.  Deeper
than that seems to me unnecessary.  Soaking the ground with a
hose or oscillating sprinkler the night before will speed the
work and keep trhe dust down and starting early, say at 7AM,
will beat the heat of the sun.  Oh, wear gloves too.
--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

homer@zaphod.UUCP (Homer Robson) (06/27/85)

>   -What is the best way to dig ditches for the piping network ?
>   -How deep should I dig ?
>   -Is there any power tool that I can rent beside using a pick and
>     dig (the hard way!)?
>   -Where could I rent such of power tool to make ditches ?   Cost ?

	There was an excellent posting on underground sprinklers on
	net.consumers, back in early May.

	The main posting was 375 lines long, but was loaded with advice
	ranging from brand name recommendations, to installation tips
	and machines from people who have commercial experience.

	I found it very helpfull. If you can't access the file anymore,
	I still have a copy and could send it to interested
	parties, or to the net, depending on how many are interested.

Homer Robson, Develcon Electronics, Saskatoon, Sask., Canada.

ned@SCIRTP.UUCP (Ned Robie) (06/28/85)

>   -What is the best way to dig ditches for the piping network ?

How about a "ditch witch".  I don't know how expensive they are to rent
but they sure work well.

-- Ned Robie