[net.garden] Trouble with Red Ants, HELP

NETOPRVC@NCSUVM.BITNET (06/23/85)

Red ants are killing my Pecan seedling.  Last year they ate
the leaves of my Sunflowers.  Does anyone know of a home-
remedy for getting rid of Red Ants?  A farmer friend once
told me of a common household substance that would keep
them away but I forgot what it was.  HELP!

                Vicky
                netoprvc@ncsuvm.bitnet

tarnopol@ttidcb.UUCP (Lewis Tarnopol) (06/24/85)

In article <34@NCSUVM> NETOPRVC@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Red ants are killing my Pecan seedling.  Last year they ate
>the leaves of my Sunflowers.  Does anyone know of a home-
>remedy for getting rid of Red Ants?  A farmer friend once
>told me of a common household substance that would keep
>them away but I forgot what it was.  HELP!
>
>                Vicky
>                netoprvc@ncsuvm.bitnet

Vicky - I read this one in Organic Gardening magazine several months ago.
Blend citrus peels and water in a food processor or blender.  It kills on
contact.  This months 'OG' says it's been discovered that orange oil (oil
from the peel) kills fleas on contact and is being incorporated in some new
organic pet baths for sale.

Anyway, pour this citrus mixture on the hills.  The ants carry the pulp into
the ground and DIE.  Or so it was printed.  Maybe you should call Organic
Gardening mag's reader service - ask information for the city:Emmaus, Pa.
Rodale Press is the publisher.  They send out info from reprints.

						Lew
Lewis Tarnopol
Citicorp/TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 3082
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!tarnopol

homer@zaphod.UUCP (Homer Robson) (07/05/85)

> Red ants are killing my Pecan seedling.  Last year they ate
> the leaves of my Sunflowers.  Does anyone know of a home-
> remedy for getting rid of Red Ants?  A farmer friend once
> told me of a common household substance that would keep
> them away but I forgot what it was.  HELP!

	My father was a beekeeper in Northern Canada. Red
	ants often plagued our bee yards (they are passionate
	enemies of honeybees for some reason). The solution that
	we found most effective was a mixture of household powdered
	borax and icing sugar. This mixture was placed in ant traps
	fasioned out of old tin cans with holes punched in them.
	It seemed to take a week or so to kill them, but it worked
	well.

	Borax is available in grocery stores as a laundry
	aid. (MULE TEAM is a common brand in Canada.)

	The theory behind this mixture is that the borax is a
	steralizing agent, (both of the ants & soil, hence the
	tin cans) the ants take the tasty mixture home, and the queen
	ant is fed and steralized. The rest of thte ants dissappear
	quickly also. In cases where we didn't care about the soil
	we would pour the stuff right into the ant hill for a quickrer
	kill.

	Note: I have tried this on the tiny brown ants in my garden
	with no success. (they aren't attracted by it)

	Homer Robson, Develcon Electronics Ltd.
	856-51st ST.E., Saskatoon, Sask., Canada.