[net.garden] Rookie Gardener

orost@homxa.UUCP (J.OROST) (07/09/85)

This is in answer to rookie gardener Julio.

 1)  Is it too late to  start  planting  flowers/vegetables  from
seeds.

Probably.  But don't get discouraged.  Try some mum cuttings  and
some  marigold  or zinnia plants from your local gardening store.
They are relative inexpensive and put on a good show.

 2)  What is best to kill off weeds from a lawn.

The best way I know of is to plant a good  strong  healthy  lawn.
Grass is one of the most persistent "weeds" money can buy.  Grass
will choke out all of its competitors.  Second choice is  "Round-
up"  (very  expensive) and then "Kleen-up" (very very expensive).
But--Stay away from chemicals.  There are probably other ways  of
taking  care  of  the problems which are better and healthier for
both you and the garden or lawn.

 3)  What is the best fertilizer to use on a lawn and garden.

Make sure the PH of your soil is around 6.5 to 7.  If below,  use
lime.    This  is  the  cheapest  soil  additive.   The  cheapest
fertilizer is the best.  But!!!!   Make  sure  the  first  number
(Nitrogen) is high.  For instance, 10-6-9 means that there are 10
lbs of nitrogen in 100 lbs of fertilizer. A higher  number  means
you can apply less, for instance, 20-10-10 can be applied at half
the rate.  Apply in Spring, Fall and Late Fall.  If  you  (insist
on  using) the expensive (organic stuff) follow the directions on
the bag.

 4)  Flowers and vegetables that are easily grown and  cared  for
by  a  rookie.   Start  by  planting  Dutch  Bulbs  in  the Fall.
Possibly, daffodills, tulips, crocus, etc.  Since  the  flowering
energy   comes  from  Holland and is built-into the bulb there is
little you can do to mess them up.  Get yourself a catalog.

The easiest vegetable to grow is the tomatoe or pepper.  Careful,
not  too  much  nitrogen  on these plants (unlike the lawn).  Try
something like 5-10-10.  The last two numbers are for  the  fruit
and the plant and root stock.

Good Luck!

hammond@petrus.UUCP (07/10/85)

J. Orost writes in response:

>  3)  What is the best fertilizer to use on a lawn and garden.
>
> Make sure the PH of your soil is around 6.5 to 7.  If below,  use
> lime.    This  is  the  cheapest  soil  additive.   The  cheapest
> fertilizer is the best.  But!!!!   Make  sure  the  first  number
> (Nitrogen) is high.  For instance, 10-6-9 means that there are 10
> lbs of nitrogen in 100 lbs of fertilizer. A higher  number  means
> you can apply less, for instance, 20-10-10 can be applied at half
> the rate.  Apply in Spring, Fall and Late Fall.  If  you  (insist
> on  using) the expensive (organic stuff) follow the directions on
> the bag.

First point) Don't cut your grass too short, it simply wastes fertilizer
and time.  Besides, longer grass (say 3" high) keeps out weeds better
and stays green better through short dry spells where close cut grass
browns out.

Question:  You claim the cheapest fertilizer is the best, but my
Scotts spreader has trouble evenly spreading the cheap stuff.  The
first 7/8 of the bag works fine, but then all the small particles are
out and only large clumps (1/8 to 1/4") are left and they don't fall
out ever at the recommended spreader setting.  I have to keep an eye
on the spreader hopper and constantly readjust the opening to get
an even spread.  Even then, the area where I put the fertilizer last
doesn't look as nice as the start (splotchy green).  Does anybody else
have this problem?

Second point, I have a drop spreader. What are other people's
experiences with drop vs broadcast spreaders.  I note that with
my grass moderately high, the drop spreader gums up if there is
any moisture on the grass, which rules out fertilizer after a morning
dew or in the evening (our area starts getting damp about 1-2 hours
before sunset).  On the other hand, a broadcast spreader wouldn't
have that problem.

Rich Hammond

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (07/13/85)

> The easiest vegetable to grow is the tomatoe or pepper.  Careful,
> not  too  much  nitrogen  on these plants (unlike the lawn).  Try
> something like 5-10-10.  The last two numbers are for  the  fruit
> and the plant and root stock.

This is too broad a statement.  Tomatoes and peppers can be easy to grow
if you have a warm climate.  However, in cool areas, they may not set or
ripen fruit.

In the S.F. Bay Area, the easiest vegetable to grow is Swiss chard.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (07/15/85)

In article <998@homxa.UUCP> orost@homxa.UUCP (J.OROST) writes:
>This is in answer to rookie gardener Julio.
>
> 1)  Is it too late to  start  planting  flowers/vegetables  from
>seeds.
>
>Probably.  But don't get discouraged.  Try some mum cuttings  and
>some  marigold  or zinnia plants from your local gardening store.
>They are relative inexpensive and put on a good show.
A little later in the summer, you should be able to plant lettuce for
fall picking.  Right now, green beans should still have time to mature
before fall (get a "bush" variety), as should zucchini (sp?) squash.  Don't
plant too much squash, though, or you will be looking for places to give
it away.

> 2)  What is best to kill off weeds from a lawn.
>
>Second choice is  "Round-
>up"  (very  expensive) and then "Kleen-up" (very very expensive).
I wouldn't use Round-up (dunno about Kleen-up).  It kills EVERYTHING,
and is designed for driveways and sidewalks, where you want to kill the
grass, as well.  If you must use poisons, get a "broadleaf weed killer".

>The easiest vegetable to grow is the tomatoe or pepper.

Tomatoes and peppers need warm days and cool nights in order to set
fruit.  It's too late to start them now, unless you can find some plants
that already have fruit on them.  Personally, I've never had much
success with peppers, except the little hot red ones (but that may have
a lot to do with the climate here).

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"You don't get to choose how you're going to die.  Or when.